Bengaluru’s inclusive school JDC Sparsha completes 23 successful years
November 7, 2018
Shakila Banu's JDC Sparsha foundation in Bengaluru is one of the most popular inclusive schools in the city. Founded in 1996, Banu has reached out to hundreds of children with and without disabilities. Her school Tom & Jerry empowers children from two years onwards. Banu is excited as she speaks about how her inclusive school has made a difference to lives of children since the past 23 years!
Until 1996, Banu used to work as a teacher. But she soon realised that she needs to do something on her own so that she can reach out to more children, especially children with disabilities. Since her profession was her passion, she decided to run a full-fledged school. So with the help of her family members, she set up a pre-school for children. She even trained her family members in special education! Now, they run JDC Sparsha together.
I feel there needs to be so much awareness on disabilities. So people are aware about it only when they have a disabled child or a family member with a disability. Even in a city like Bengaluru, people do not know anything about disabilities. The government must enter the picture and ensure ways to spread awareness. We could have made our venture bigger and better if we had government support- Shakila Banu, Founder, JDC Sparsha.
At their centre, teenagers above 15 years of age are trained in vocational skills. They are introduced to making many things including handicrafts. This way they are empowered and can stand on their own feet. Boys are taught how to handle electronic products so that they can make a living out of it.
Banu is gearing up to move to new premises where she can have a bigger space to accommodate more children. That way, she can help more disabled children and those from economically backward families as well.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Events March 14, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 14, 2019 Australia beats India, wins series
- Get-hooked March 12, 2019 Hyderabad-based center offers course in learning disabilities
- Headlines March 15, 2019 U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News