Bengaluru’s inclusive school JDC Sparsha completes 23 successful years
Shakila Banu’s JDC Sparsha foundation in Bengaluru is one of the most popular inclusive schools in the city. Founded in 1996, Banu has reached out to hundreds of children with and without disabilities. Her school Tom & Jerry empowers children from two years onwards. Banu is excited as she speaks about how her inclusive school has made a difference to lives of children since the past 23 years!
Until 1996, Banu used to work as a teacher. But she soon realised that she needs to do something on her own so that she can reach out to more children, especially children with disabilities. Since her profession was her passion, she decided to run a full-fledged school. So with the help of her family members, she set up a pre-school for children. She even trained her family members in special education! Now, they run JDC Sparsha together.
I feel there needs to be so much awareness on disabilities. So people are aware about it only when they have a disabled child or a family member with a disability. Even in a city like Bengaluru, people do not know anything about disabilities. The government must enter the picture and ensure ways to spread awareness. We could have made our venture bigger and better if we had government support- Shakila Banu, Founder, JDC Sparsha.
At their centre, teenagers above 15 years of age are trained in vocational skills. They are introduced to making many things including handicrafts. This way they are empowered and can stand on their own feet. Boys are taught how to handle electronic products so that they can make a living out of it.
Banu is gearing up to move to new premises where she can have a bigger space to accommodate more children. That way, she can help more disabled children and those from economically backward families as well.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Virat Kohli apologises after getting trolled for 'Leave India' comment to fan
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News