Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh only has a handful of schools that empowers disabled children. One of the most prominent names amongst these schools is Abhaya Care Foundation, popularly known as ARMS.
This school reaches out to children with all kinds of disabilities. ARMS was founded in 2010 by Dr V Sindhu. With the help of a few people, Sindhu started two centres at Vijayawada and Hyderabad. Dr Sindhu who was a physician, always wanted to do something for children with disabilities. She knew that Vijayawada lacked a good school when she tried to look out for something for her son who had autism. That is how she decided to start ARMS. Today, children with Down syndrome, autism, cerebral palsy, dyslexia and multiple disabilities are part of this school.
What makes ARMS even more unique is the fact that they admit only children who has severe disabilities. They claim that unlike most schools, they want to reach out to children with disabilities who have undergone various problems. So most of the students that they have now were denied admissions in other schools due to their disabilities!
I want to reach out to more disabled children and empower them. To start with, we need parents to be trained and equipped on how to handle their child who has a disability. Today, parents are definitely more aware when compared to previous years. Many people have asked me why my school does not support a residential programme. Children deserve the love and care of their mothers. I don’t think it is fair to snatch that away and admit them into residential programmes. Children with and without disabilities must grow up with the guidance of their mothers. Nothing can replace that- Dr V Sindhu, Founder, Abhaya Care Foundation
ARMS focuses on early intervention programmes and vocational training. So their centre in Vijayawada is primarily for early intervention and academics. Their Hyderabad centre provides vocational training and empowers children and teenagers with disabilities. Here, they are taught to make candles, paper bags, painted diyas, gift envelopes and more. They are also taught basics of computers, data entry and so on.
They ensure that children are introduced to occupational therapy and life skills, speech and yoga therapy and functional academics as well.
ARMS believe that people in rural parts of Andhra Pradesh still have a long way to go when it comes to awareness on disabilities. So their main mission is to spread this awareness amongst the masses.
“People in our rural areas have a lot of potential which is unexplored. We need to tap those skills which will help our nation in many ways. We hope to reach out to more people in rural areas too”, says Dr V Sindhu.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi to host Convention on 'Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities'
November 16, 2018
- Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
November 16, 2018
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 India takes the fight against leprosy to people's doorsteps
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 9, 2018
Get-hooked November 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News