Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
Self-esteem is a term used to describe how a person views themselves. So an individual can have a positive or negative self-esteem. When you have a positive outlook, it clearly reflects on your life. You view things positively and is capable of having a great life!
So when you have a disability, chances are high that you might have a low self-esteem. Disability is never a deterrent to achieve things in life or to prove how awesome you can be! All that you need to do is work on your negatives to turn them to positives and ensure that everything else falls in place. We have many people with disabilities who have made the country proud through their remarkable achievements.
Simran Chawla was the title winner of Princess India 2016-17. This blind beauty queen has a few tips to share for those who need a boost in self-esteem.
The first tip I would give is to love yourselves because if you do that no one in this world can hate you. Secondly, people might talk good or bad things about you. But ensure that those bad things don't affect you. Take in all the good things and try to find something in those negatives that they have spoken about you. You can learn a lot from it and move forward. Thirdly, be positive and keep smiling. Every coin has two sides. Similarly, everything has it's own positives and negatives- Simran Chawla, Beauty Pageant Winner.
Here are a few tips to build self-esteem in a person who has a disability
- Do not make comparisons - Every human being is unique. They have their own strengths and weaknesses. Your friend who does not have a disability will not be able to achieve certain things that you do, and vice versa. When you start making comparisons with another person, you start feeling low about yourself. As an individual, you are aware of your strengths. So work on it!
- Appreciate yourself - You are your best teacher. No one else knows you so well. There are numerous things that you can do in spite of a disability. There might be many instances where your disability might have de-motivated you. But has there ever stopped you from achieving what you want? An ambitious person, in spite of having a disability or not, achieves what they want with hard work and determination. Appreciate yourselves for the good human being that you are.
- Set goals - What make a human being successful are the goals that they set for themselves. There are many things that you can achieve in spite of a disability. So work on those goals. For instance, if you aspire to be a news reporter, put your heart and soul into being one. You will have to take some extra effort for it when compared to a person who does not have a disability. But it is all going to be worth it when you see yourselves on TV reporting! Setting goals are what makes a person work hard and achieve things in life. So do not forget to set goals for yourself.
- Surround yourself with supportive people - Yes, you do not need negativity in your life! So ensure that you have a bunch of good friends around you. Our companions have the ability to push you upwards or bring you down. All of us prefer the former! If you feel that someone triggers negativity inside you, make sure that you avoid them completely. Nobody deserves negativity in their lives.
Pulkit Sharma is a wheelchair user and a successful video blogger from New Delhi, has a simple motto.
"Most importantly, I believe that you are your own best friend. Listen to what your heart says. Do not be carried away by negatives around you", says Sharma.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Parasports June 27, 2019 Bengaluru to play host to national blind football tournament
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News