Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
November 12, 2018
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a condition where the individual will have difficulties in giving attention to one particular thing. They will also be hyperactive and impulsive. Today, thousands of children are diagnosed with ADHD in India. By providing the right therapies and activities, they will be able to excel in academics and in life.
There are three types of ADHD. One is primarily attentive, second one is primarily hyperactive and the third one is a combination of both. There are some activities that can be of immense help to children with ADHD.
Skating, swimming, distance running and basketball are some of the activities that children with ADHD can do on their own. That way, they can concentrate on the activity without bothering about the social interaction part. When a child has to interact with others, it creates a lot of unwanted pressure in them- Sarbani Mallick, Founder, Biswagouri Charitable Trust.
Check out these activities that can help children with ADHD concentrate and learn better
- Arts and crafts- We all know that arts are always the ideal therapy for children with any kind of disability. Like music and dance can have a therapeutic effect on children with and without disabilities. Children with ADHD are not really interested in academics. But they show a keen interest on arts and crafts. Since they have very less attention span, it is always better if they are introduced to arts and crafts.
- Outdoor sports- This is one of the best activities that can help children with ADHD. They can even start walking at least for 20 minutes every day which is also a great activity! Some sports that they can try out are hiking and scouting. Games like cricket, football and basketball helps increase their attention span and is also a great physical activity to burn out extra calories!
- Gardening- Nature has a therapeutic effect. It does wonders to your mind and body. According to experts, gardening is something that children with ADHD must try. In today's world, trees are drastically cut down and greens are destroyed. This is the right time for our next generation to get introduced to the value of having a lot of greens. Let your child have their own mini garden at home. It will help them enhance their attention span, concentration and also know the beauty of nature!
- Working with animals- Science has proved that children with disabilities benefit a lot from animals. The love and companionship provided by four-legged friends needs no special mention. Have you noticed that children with disabilities, especially those who lack social skills, find great companions in dogs and cats? Introduce your child to animals and you will see how they learn caring, love and sharing.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News