Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
Stuck in campus during the Diwali holidays, Lovely Professional University (LPU) student Mudit Sinha was looking for something to do to pass his time.
While walking around campus, he saw someone with a speech disorder trying to communicate with a group of people. Mudit stepped in to help him and that was the trigger to start working on Myability, an app that aims to help people with hearing and speech disorders communicate with others.
I was also learning to make an app online at the time and after my encounter with that person, I decided to do something that combines both these aspects. This would make life so much easier for people who have speech and hearing disorders. - Mudit Sinha, Engineering student
Mudit, who is from Varanasi is studying computer science at the LPU. The app, which will be launched on Google Play store in a few days, speaks up anything typed on it by the user so the other person to hear it.
Mudit has shared the innovation with some disabled students on campus and is encouraged by the feedback. “I am working on adding more features for people who are deaf and hard of hearing now. I was waiting for feedback and what I have heard so far has been very positive. Right now, the app uses English language and I plan to add more languages at a later stage.”
This third-year student has his heart set on developing innovations that are socially minded. Earlier this year, Mudit launched a website called Open My Heart, which aims to prevent suicides. His aspirations, he says, lie in “solving real world problems.” Now that’s a statement that is great to hear, especially from someone so young.
Watch in Sign Language
- Microsoft introduces real-time captions and translations to Skype and PowerPoint
December 17, 2018
- Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
December 10, 2018
- Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
December 5, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018