Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
We live in a world where technology reaches out to you for almost everything. We order food and groceries, find jobs and even meet our life partners through websites and mobile apps. Today, we have a lot of mobile apps that even helps you find a date as well! You might come across a deaf person at college or work whom you would like to go on a date with. So whether you are a deaf person or not, there are a few things to keep in mind if you have a deaf partner!
If you are wondering how to introduce yourself and put across your point, you need not worry too much. You can find out if they read lips or if they use their voice, check if they know sign language or see if they have an interpreter. Basically, you must find out what the best way to communicate with them, and what makes them feel good. After all, a disability does not determine a person. You might just have found out your soul mate for life!
Pradeep More is the General Secretary of State Level Association of the Deaf (SLAD).
In every relationship, communication is very important. Without that no relationship will be complete or successful. For a deaf person, all these matters too. Two individuals in a relationship must understand and believe each other. Most of the deaf people prefer to have a deaf partner because they find it better to communicate. But according to me, someone who is not a deaf person can be a great partner as long as there is trust, faith, care and support for each other. You must sacrifice and help each other grow. That is what love is all about- Pradeep More, General Secretary, SLAD
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when you date a deaf person
- Accept the person and their disability- Just like how you respect your partner, you must respect their disability as well. What makes a relationship beautiful is when people discuss and talk about things openly to each other. So if you have any questions about your partner's disability, ask them. A relationship becomes more beautiful and fruitful when it is transparent. So do not hesitate to ask questions.
- Try and learn ways to communicate- This is one of the most important things when you date a deaf person. So if you are someone without a disability, this is your chance to learn something new and also to impress your partner! Try and check what method of communication is preferred best by your partner. Many deaf people know sign language. You can learn it so that your communication becomes easier.
- Introduce them to your family- If you are looking out for a long term commitment, then you must introduce your deaf partner to your family. They must know that you are dating a deaf person so that they can also prepare to accept a new family member!
- Be their biggest pillar of strength- Undoubtedly, this is how all relationships must be. So whether you have a disability or not, you have to be with the right person who is also a good friend to you! If you have a deaf partner, reach out to them when they need you. All of us undergo problems in family and work. When you have a great understanding companion, nothing like it!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News