Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
November 13, 2018
Union Minister Ananth Kumar passed away at the age of 59. Kumar, who was an active leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs breathed his last at a private hospital in Bengaluru. Kumar was undergoing treatment for lung cancer, and had just returned from the United States after treatment. His wife and two children were with him during his last moments.
Kumar was one of the most popular BJP leaders from Karnataka. Hence, the government of Karnataka has declared three day mourning across the state. No government events will be held in the next three days. All the government run institutions will have a holiday as well. His last rites will take place at Bengaluru on Tuesday with all government honours.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted that the country has lost an eminent politician.
Extremely saddened by the passing away of my valued colleague and friend, Shri Ananth Kumar Ji. He was a remarkable leader, who entered public life at a young age and went on to serve society with utmost diligence and compassion. He will always be remembered for his good work- Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India.
The national flag will fly half mast across India to mourn the loss of an eminent leader. Kumar had also served the central government when Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the Prime Minister of India. He is also the first person to give a speech in Kannada at the United Nations. A six time Member of Parliament (MP), Kumar's death is indeed a huge loss to Karnataka.
"Sad to hear of the passing of Union minister and veteran parliamentarian Shri H.N. Ananth Kumar. This is a tragic loss to public life in our country and particularly for the people of Karnataka. My condolences to his family, colleagues and countless associates #PresidentKovind", tweeted Indian President Ramnath Kovind.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Restrictions lifted in Jammu
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News