Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
November 13, 2018
Union Minister Ananth Kumar passed away at the age of 59. Kumar, who was an active leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs breathed his last at a private hospital in Bengaluru. Kumar was undergoing treatment for lung cancer, and had just returned from the United States after treatment. His wife and two children were with him during his last moments.
Kumar was one of the most popular BJP leaders from Karnataka. Hence, the government of Karnataka has declared three day mourning across the state. No government events will be held in the next three days. All the government run institutions will have a holiday as well. His last rites will take place at Bengaluru on Tuesday with all government honours.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted that the country has lost an eminent politician.
Extremely saddened by the passing away of my valued colleague and friend, Shri Ananth Kumar Ji. He was a remarkable leader, who entered public life at a young age and went on to serve society with utmost diligence and compassion. He will always be remembered for his good work- Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India.
The national flag will fly half mast across India to mourn the loss of an eminent leader. Kumar had also served the central government when Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the Prime Minister of India. He is also the first person to give a speech in Kannada at the United Nations. A six time Member of Parliament (MP), Kumar's death is indeed a huge loss to Karnataka.
"Sad to hear of the passing of Union minister and veteran parliamentarian Shri H.N. Ananth Kumar. This is a tragic loss to public life in our country and particularly for the people of Karnataka. My condolences to his family, colleagues and countless associates #PresidentKovind", tweeted Indian President Ramnath Kovind.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News