Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
November 13, 2018
Fans of Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar are shocked to know that he has been summoned by a Special Investigation Team -SIT.
The SIT is investigating the 2015 Bargari sacrilege case involving self-styled god man Ram Rahim Singh.
Sacrilege is the violation or inappropriate treatment of a sacred object or person.
Apart from Akshay Kumar, Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leader and former Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukbhir Singh Badal have also been summoned by the SIT in regards with the investigation.
The case is about police firing that took place in Kalan and Kotkapura areas of Punjab in 2015. The mob was protesting a series of sacrilege in Punjab at the time and the firing resulted in death of two people and around 60 were injured.
The SIT summons claim that the sacrilege dispute was between Shiromani Akali Dal and the then Dera Sacha Sauda chief Ram Rahim Singh, while Akshay is believed to have helped the two parties mediate.
In response to the summons, Akshay Kumar issued a statement saying he has never met Ram Rahim.
I shall never do anything that would even remotely hurt sentiments of my Punjabi brothers and sisters. Akshay also said
Akshay also shared on social media that Gurmeet Ram Rahim had stayed in the same Juhu locality in Mumbai for some time but he never met him.
Social media users had mixed reactions to the actor's statements and the SIT summons against him. Some people proclaimed their faith for Akshay while others supported the procedure followed by the Special Investigation Team.
Akshay's fan Ajjuâ€ @Huss_Master tweeted,"@akshaykumar You can never be wrong, even if by mistake you did something wrong i know you would accept it openly! #respect to you #Proud fan
While another user Neha Sameeâ€ @nehasamee11 wrote,"The SIT was an independent entity and was functioning without any government interference," Punjab Govt had no role in summoning Khiladi kumar n Badals.."
Justice Ranjit Singh Commission that investigated the whole issue sheds light on the case.
In one incident, Guru Granth Sahib, the holy text of the Sikhs was desecrated while in another, Ram Rahim had dressed up as the 10th Sikh Guru Gobind Singh. These incidents caused much anger amongst the people of Sikh community and they carried out protests. The situation became worse when Ram Rahim was pardoned by the Akal Takht.
The Commission reports states that it was Akshay Kumar who had mediated between the Badals and Dera Sacha Sauda to get the pardon for Ram Rahim.
Akshay Kumar has been asked by the SIT to appear before it on 21 November in Amritsar.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Karnataka political drama unfolds outside Mumbai hotel
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Headlines July 12, 2019 India celebrates with Dutee Chand
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News