Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
November 15, 2018
Former Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot and state Congress president Sachin Pilot will contest the 7 December assembly elections in Rajasthan.
This is an unexpected move and adds to suspense about who is likely to be chief minister of the state if Congress wins the elections. Both Gehlot and Pilot are strong contenders for the top post in Rajasthan.
The Congress is hoping that the anti-incumbency against chief minister Vasundhara Raje will help them win the elections in the state. Raje is leading the BJP in the upcoming polls, and the Congress is unlikely to name its chief minister as there are worries this could backfire as both Gehlot and Pilot are claimants to the post.
With the instructions of Congress president Rahul Gandhi and on Gehlotji request, I have decided to contest the assembly elections. We all will together ensure a massive victory for the Congress in the upcoming polls. - Sachin Pilot, President, Rajasthan Congress
67-year-old Gehlot, who has been chief minister of Rajasthan two times, is expected to seek re-nomination from Sardarpura seat in Jodhpur. Pilot's constituency will be decided soon. Gehlot dismissed reports of fighting within the Rajasthan Congress. "The reports of infighting in the Rajasthan Congress are baseless and spread by the BJP. We are unitedly fighting the assembly elections," said Gehlot.
The Congress is yet to release its first list of candidates for the Rajasthan Assembly elections. Party leaders said the names will be announced soon.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News