Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
Prince Durairaj from Coimbatore dons many hats. He is the secretary of the Para Volleyball Association, works for Tamil Nadu government and also takes up social causes to create awareness. A disability has never become a deterrent to this young man. A couple of months back, he went on a drive in his own car to spread awareness on road safety. He covered over 3000 kms for the cause! On Wednesday, he started his next trip for spreading awareness on child sexual abuse. His campaign has already garnered attention and Durairaj has sponsors to help support his cause!
Durairaj aims to drive across South India including cities and rural areas of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Telengana and Karnataka. His one week trip is sponsored by the Rotary Club of East (Coimbatore).
Cases of child sexual abuse are now being regular incidents in India. I want to create awareness on this issue to both parents and children. Nowadays, parents are so busy and leading a mechanical life that they hardly have any time for their children. Hence, a child is even reluctant to go to parents and speak up about the sexual abuse that they face. I have come across a few incidents that are heartbreaking. No child deserves to go through these kinds of incidents- Prince Durairaj
The drive was inaugurated at Mani's school by Mr Vijayakarthikeyan, who is the Commissioner of Coimbatore Corporation. It was attended by Mr KA Satyanarayanan who is the Head Master of Mani's school.
This youngster says that his wife and kids are his biggest supporters, and without them he wouldn't be able to hold this long drive. According to Durairaj, stringent punishments are the only method to reduce such crimes.
"We cannot change minds of criminals. They are always going to do this. So we must be able to protect our children. That is the only way to save them from perpetrators", says Durairaj.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News