School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
November 16, 2018
With Cyclone Gaja expected to make a landfall between Cuddalore and Pamban on Thursday night, schools and colleges in the area were shut as safety measure.
Weather authorities said that the cyclone was likely to intensify.
It is very likely to move west-southwestwards and intensify further into a Severe Cyclonic Storm. While moving west-southwestwards thereafter, it is likely to weaken and cross Tamil Nadu coast between Pamban and Cuddalore, around Nagapattinam with a wind speed of 80-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph. - Indian Meteorological Department
Heavy rainfall was seen in many parts of Tamil Nadu like Puducherry and the coastal districts of Cuddalore, Nagapattinam, Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Pudukkottai, Ramanathapuram and Tuticorin. However, Chennai was spared with mostly isolated rainfall. A holiday for schools and colleges was declared and examinations were deferred.
Indian Railways cancelled all the train services in the districts, which were likely to be affected. There was warning of damage to huts, rooftops and power and communication lines.
State Revenue Minister R B Udhayakumar said the state government has taken all precautionary measures.
"Eight National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams and seven squads of the state disaster response force have been dispatched to the affected areas. Besides setting up a 24-hour control room in Chennai, we have directed the district collectors to form rescue teams. Cyclone management committees have been formed in all the 2,559 vulnerable places. 410 zonal teams are also in place."
Over 300 mobile medical teams, 315 veterinary medical teams, motor pumps, swimmers, snake catchers were also put on standby for help.
The Indian Navy has been put on high alert and asked to offer all help if needed. Two Indian Naval ships, Ranvir and Khanjar, were on standby to undertake humanitarian aid and distress relief.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Get-hooked June 9, 2019 Understanding Bipolar Disorder
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News