South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
November 16, 2018
After United States President Donald Trump expressed his inability to be the chief guest at 2019 Republic Day celebrations of India, the government has extended an invitation to Cyril Ramaphosa, President, South Africa.
The Indian government had earlier invited Trump to be the guest of honour. However, the invitation was not accepted by the White House as Trump had some other engagements on those dates.
President Ramaphosa is the fifth President of South Africa. He is known as an ardent follower of the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. Inviting him as the special guest is also symbolic as this year will mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
During his stay, President Ramaphosa will also attend the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas celebrations which are to be held in January.
The day is celebrated in memory of Gandhi's return to India from South Africa.
Although the day is usually observed on 9 January, it will be postponed to a date later in January to ensure that President Ramaphosa can attend it along with the Republic Day celebrations.
The news has been welcomed by most people as was evident from some tweets on social media.
Dr. Shahid Siddiqui @shahidsiddiqui, tweeted "India's Republic Day Celebrations to see South #Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa- a #Gandhi follower from #Mandela 's land!"
While another user Samar @Samar_Anarya wrote,
After Donald Trump's refusal to be the chief guest of India's Republic Day celebrations; first ever in last 71 years, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa is likely to be the chief guest at the 2019 #RepublicDay. #BajRahaHaiGhanta
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals win again
April 26, 2019
- BJP to contest more seats than Congress in Lok Sabha elections
April 26, 2019
- Madras High Court lifts ban on TikTok
April 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 24, 2019 Summer Camp 2019
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 24, 2019 Bollywood actor Sunny Deol joins BJP
- Accessibility April 25, 2019 Wheelchair users enjoy their first boat ride down Kerala's famous Periyar river
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 23, 2019 Delhi-based Coloured Zebra uses theatre for holistic growth
- Headlines April 25, 2019 Death toll in Lanka attacks rises, more arrests
- Events April 24, 2019 5th International Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Conference & WheelChair Games 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 21, 2019
Headlines April 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News