South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
November 16, 2018
After United States President Donald Trump expressed his inability to be the chief guest at 2019 Republic Day celebrations of India, the government has extended an invitation to Cyril Ramaphosa, President, South Africa.
The Indian government had earlier invited Trump to be the guest of honour. However, the invitation was not accepted by the White House as Trump had some other engagements on those dates.
President Ramaphosa is the fifth President of South Africa. He is known as an ardent follower of the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. Inviting him as the special guest is also symbolic as this year will mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
During his stay, President Ramaphosa will also attend the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas celebrations which are to be held in January.
The day is celebrated in memory of Gandhi's return to India from South Africa.
Although the day is usually observed on 9 January, it will be postponed to a date later in January to ensure that President Ramaphosa can attend it along with the Republic Day celebrations.
The news has been welcomed by most people as was evident from some tweets on social media.
Dr. Shahid Siddiqui @shahidsiddiqui, tweeted "India's Republic Day Celebrations to see South #Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa- a #Gandhi follower from #Mandela 's land!"
While another user Samar @Samar_Anarya wrote,
After Donald Trump's refusal to be the chief guest of India's Republic Day celebrations; first ever in last 71 years, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa is likely to be the chief guest at the 2019 #RepublicDay. #BajRahaHaiGhanta
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News