Amritsar grenade attack puts Punjab Police on the backfoot
November 20, 2018
The grenade attack on a religious group in Amritsar has exposed the poor state of preparedeness of the Punjab Police and problems in the state intelligence. This is especially so in light of the fact that Punjab was on high alert after an input that Jaish-e-Mohammand terrorists had sneaked in.
Intelligence authorities had earlier ordered all district police chiefs to increase security and strengthen defence in the border areas. Even then the attackers got into a prayer hall of Niranakaris in Adliwalwith hand grenades and pistols. They also easily escaped from the area though it is close to a high security international airport.
Senior police officials said they had no idea that a religious function was being organised and that such a group could be attacked. The local Congress MLA Dr Raj Kumar Verka called this an intelligence failure.
This is a big failure as state was already on high alert. We must learn from this. - Congress MLA Dr Raj Kumar Verka
This is the second such attack in Punjab in two months and has put the government led by Captain Amarinder Singh on the backfoot. In September, four low-intensity grenades were hurled at a police station in Jalandhar.
The opposition has strongly blamed the government for the attack. BJP National Secretary R P Singh tweeted, ""Ministers' friendship Khalistanis will cost Punjab dear," making a reference to a state minister's closeness to supporters of a pro-Khalistan Sikh advocacy group, Sikhs for Justice.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News