Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy’s wheelchair cricket camp is a success
Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy in Bengaluru needs no introduction to aspiring wheelchair cricketers. They get the right coaching from experts in the field at this academy. Recently, they hosted a wheelchair cricket camp at Mysuru. Needless to say, the camp was a huge success. Over 70 people from across Karnataka and Kerala participated in the three day camp.
Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy collaborated with NGO Abhyuday Seva Samasthe to hold the camp which was held at Vijayanagar in Mysuru. Foretell Business Solutions and CBM Trust India were the main sponsors of the camp. According to organizers at Divyaang Myithri, the camp was held to find the best players for upcoming Wheelchair Karnataka Premier League.
We plan to hold a Karnataka Premier League very soon. So we have been in the lookout for the best talents. At the same time, we want to provide a platform for more aspiring wheelchair cricketers to come forward and experiment with their skills. Once the camp got over, we realised that there are so many talented cricketers amongst us- Shivaprasad, Co-founder, Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy
The wheelchair cricket camp was held on 16, 17 and 18 November. Experts from wheelchair cricket field imparted some great lessons in this fun-filled camp. What made it even more special is that it was done free of cost! Accommodation, food and equipments were provided by the organizers Divyaang Myithri. They made sure not to charge even a penny from the participants.
Shivaprasad points out that wheelchair cricket are also for those who have limb disabilities. So nothing must hold back an aspiring cricketer to explore his skills. This sports academy claims to provide them the right guidance.
After the success of their Mysuru camp, Divyaang Myithri is now aiming to hold similar camps across South India. But due to dearth of funds, organizers are struggling for resources.
“Due to financial constraints, we held the camp at Mysuru because it is a cheaper option. We do not have any government support. So our main sponsors are corporate companies. Equipments for wheelchair cricket are expensive and we just cannot carry it forward without support”, says Shivaprasad.
In spite of all odds, Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy wants to reach out to more aspiring wheelchair cricketers and nothing seems to break their spirits!
Lokesh N from Bengaluru was awarded Best Bowler at the three day wheelchair cricket camp.
“I’am so glad that I could be a part of this camp. I learnt a lot of new things. Such camps help in improving our performance and also in finding new players”, says Lokesh.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Army kills 3 JeM terrorists in Pulwama
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Saudi Arabia Crown in India to strengthen ties
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News