More than 70 protestors arrested for causing violence in Sabarimala
November 20, 2018
Fresh incidents of violence were reported from the hill shrine of Sabarimala on Sunday night. Over 70 protestors, disguised as devotes, entered the temple and created obstructions for other devotees. All of them were arrested by the police triggering more violence across the state. BJP members protested against Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan's residence in Thiruvananthapuram. Incidents of violence were reported at the state capital in Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Kozhikode, Malappuram, Thodupuzha and Ranni. Cases have been filed against almost 200 people for various protests across Kerala.
These incidents created furore amongst devotees who were at the temple as part of the ongoing Mandala Kalam. Most of them complained that they were unable to witness 'pujas' due to communal riots in and around the temple.
1st time in the history of #Sabarimala .. people are arrested from Sannidhanam of Temple. Peaceful devotees were doing Saranam and Namajapam and there was no provocation or even protests as per Devotees on ground .. @CMOKerala Sri @vijayanpinarayi is being unfair unethical- Rahul Easwar, Right Wing Activist.
Two days before, Hindu Right Wing leader KP Sasikala was arrested for trying to climb the hill shrine. This sparked protests across the state. Sasikala was released on Sunday.
"#SaveSabarimalaTradition Thankfully there was no Bloodshed or Violence in this Police actions or retaliation from Devotees side. So in a way with benefit of hindsight, what happened is very good for #Sabarimala and this movement. Mark this Tweet", tweeted Suresh N.
On 28 September, the Supreme Court of India had lifted the ban on women of menstruating age not entering the temple. Ever since the order was implemented on 14 October, no women devotees have been able to enter the temple due to protestors. Many women were manhandled and abused as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 12, 2019
Headlines April 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News