Workshop to address issues related to sexual abuse of disabled children
November 22, 2018
Nayi Disha has been working towards the empowerment of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The centre works as an information resource for thousands of people looking for information and support about disabilities.
Apart from health and developmental concerns, their safety is also a major issue. Nayi Disha is organizing a workshop this week to address this topic, one that is worrying for all parents, but even more so for those with disabled kids.
The title of the workshop is Personal Safety and Sexual Etiquettes in Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
Children are vulnerable and can become easy targets for sexual attacks and exploitation. Such instances have seen a drastic increase in the country lately. What this means is that children with disabilities need to be made aware about sexual behavior so that they can identify it and seek protection. Similarly parents and educators also need to be educated about how to protect their children and keep them safe.
In today's world, we hear about abuses against women and children. Our children with disabilities cannot comprehend what's happening around them or communicate, and hence it is paramount that we educate parents and caregivers of children on these aspects of child safety. Prachi Deo, Founder, Nayi Disha
The workshop on 24 November is being held at the Progressive Care center, Begumpet in Hyderabad, Telangana.
The workshop is for parents, caregivers, special educators and professionals who are in contact with young children and adolescents with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
For parents, the safety of their children comes first and foremost. One parent, who wishes to stay unidentified hopes to get useful information at the session.
"While my son was growing up he used to wander around and I almost lost him three times. That fear of losing him made me restrict his travelling alone. I would like some input on this. My second question is sexual abuse. As far as I know he has never faced this and while he is aware of good touch, bad touch, etc, I am not sure he understands it well enough."
There are various aspects to a child's safety from sexual attacks and abuse and these will be covered at the workshop. These include:
- Sexual development and sexual education.
- Helping the child understand sexual gestures and behaviors.
- Helping the child understand inappropriate behavior.
- Encouraging the child to report sexual abuse.
- Personal safety education.
The aim of the event is to encourage and promote awareness about attitudes and beliefs regarding sexuality.
For more information about the workshop Click Here
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News