Fresh protests in Sabarimala over rumours of couple visiting the temple
November 22, 2018
Sabarimala witnessed protests on Tuesday after rumours came out of a couple reportedly trying to enter the hill shrine. But the couple who was from Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh told protestors that they came to visit a few temples in Kerala and have no plans to go to Sabarimala. Police had to tighten security in the area. The couple were also given security throughout their stay in Sabarimala.
Sabarimala had opened last week for the annual Mandala Kalam, a very auspicious time at the hill shrine. But since the past few days, there was lesser flow of devotees to Sabarimala due to the ongoing protests. Most of the protestors in Sabarimala are ring wing party men and women. Hence, the police have been resorting to lathi charge in order to calm down the situation.
6th day is of Union minister Pon Radhakrishnan. He demands that all pvt. vehicles must be allowed to Pampa. Police explains that due flood damages to parking space only buses(other than for VIPs) are allowed. BJP leaders getting angry at Police, detrimental to devotee interests-Thomas Issac, Kerala Finance Minister
Over the past few days, Kerala police has been making many arrests including that of BJP leader K Surendran. Over 200 protestors from across Kerala were arrested.
Amit Shah who is the president of the Bharatiya Janata Party tweeted that BJP stands firmly by Surendran.
"If Pinarayi Vijayan thinks he can rise against people's movement to preserve Sabarimala by arresting K Surendran, our Thrissur district president and 6 others, then he is mistaken. We stand firmly with every Ayyappa devotee, who holds the Sabarimala tradition close to his heart", tweeted Amit Shah.
On 28 September, the Supreme Court of India had ordered that women devotees of menstrual age can enter Sabarimala. The hill shrine is the abode of Lord Ayyappa who is celibate. There was a ban on entry of women into the temple. Ever since the ban was lifted, Kerala has been witnessing protests and communal riots.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News