Fresh protests in Sabarimala over rumours of couple visiting the temple
November 22, 2018
Sabarimala witnessed protests on Tuesday after rumours came out of a couple reportedly trying to enter the hill shrine. But the couple who was from Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh told protestors that they came to visit a few temples in Kerala and have no plans to go to Sabarimala. Police had to tighten security in the area. The couple were also given security throughout their stay in Sabarimala.
Sabarimala had opened last week for the annual Mandala Kalam, a very auspicious time at the hill shrine. But since the past few days, there was lesser flow of devotees to Sabarimala due to the ongoing protests. Most of the protestors in Sabarimala are ring wing party men and women. Hence, the police have been resorting to lathi charge in order to calm down the situation.
6th day is of Union minister Pon Radhakrishnan. He demands that all pvt. vehicles must be allowed to Pampa. Police explains that due flood damages to parking space only buses(other than for VIPs) are allowed. BJP leaders getting angry at Police, detrimental to devotee interests-Thomas Issac, Kerala Finance Minister
Over the past few days, Kerala police has been making many arrests including that of BJP leader K Surendran. Over 200 protestors from across Kerala were arrested.
Amit Shah who is the president of the Bharatiya Janata Party tweeted that BJP stands firmly by Surendran.
"If Pinarayi Vijayan thinks he can rise against people's movement to preserve Sabarimala by arresting K Surendran, our Thrissur district president and 6 others, then he is mistaken. We stand firmly with every Ayyappa devotee, who holds the Sabarimala tradition close to his heart", tweeted Amit Shah.
On 28 September, the Supreme Court of India had ordered that women devotees of menstrual age can enter Sabarimala. The hill shrine is the abode of Lord Ayyappa who is celibate. There was a ban on entry of women into the temple. Ever since the ban was lifted, Kerala has been witnessing protests and communal riots.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News