Cyclone Gaja causes more damage in Tamil Nadu
November 23, 2018
Cyclone Gaja has caused lot of devastation across the state of Tamil Nadu. On Thursday, Chennai district collector ordered all the schools and colleges to be shut due to heavy rainfall. Madras University has cancelled all the exams that were scheduled for Thursday. Officials have requested people to be on alert. Chennai and nearby districts witnessed heavy rainfall on both Wednesday and Thursday.
Nearly 50 people were killed in Cyclone Gaja over the past one week. The cyclone was caused due to low pressure area over South west Bay of Bengal. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister E Palaniswami met Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss about the impact and destruction caused by Cyclone Gaja across the state. Most of the coastal areas in the state have been impacted.
In a shocking incident, a 12 year old girl, who was asked to stay outdoors because she was menstruating died after a tree fell on the barn where she was sleeping. According to reports, her family from Annaikkadu was following an age old custom where girls who menstruate have to stay outdoors for over 16 days. The girl and her mother were sleeping in a barn outside the home when a coconut tree fell onto the barn due to heavy winds and instantly killed the girl. Her mother was admitted in a nearby hospital. The incident sparked outrage across the district.
Since telecommunication and power was disrupted, people took to social media in order to express their concern.
We don't have telecommunication to communicate everyone still we are suffered @airtelindia @airtelnews @Airtel_Presence can you fix the base station quickly in my village. Place: Kalathur , Pattukkottai Taulk, #Gaja @tnsdma @SubashiniBA #SaveDelta #BounceBackDelta @CMOTamilNadu-Sundaramoorthy, Twitter User
Reports state that over 4 lakh people have been left homeless after the cyclone. Tamil Nadu government has requested the central government for an aide of Rs 15,000 crore to rebuild lives and homes of people who were affected by Cyclone Gaja.
Celebrities have come together to support Cyclone Gaja victims. Actors Rajinikanth, Kamal Hassan, Vijay Sethupathi, Suriya and Jyothika contributed for the reconstruction of affected areas. Amongst them was music director AR Rahman too.
"My Sufi Ensemble and I will perform a benefit concert in Toronto on 24 Dec at Metro Toronto Convention Centre Part of the proceeds will go to for Gaja Cyclone relief in TN I will be joined by Javed Ali, Sivamani & Sana Moussa", tweeted AR Rahman.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup cricket - India face Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar will not be replaced, says Virat Kohli
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Headlines June 9, 2019 Ex-union minister Aslam Sher Khan offers to replace Rahul Gandhi
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News