Cyclone Gaja causes more damage in Tamil Nadu
Cyclone Gaja has caused lot of devastation across the state of Tamil Nadu. On Thursday, Chennai district collector ordered all the schools and colleges to be shut due to heavy rainfall. Madras University has cancelled all the exams that were scheduled for Thursday. Officials have requested people to be on alert. Chennai and nearby districts witnessed heavy rainfall on both Wednesday and Thursday.
Nearly 50 people were killed in Cyclone Gaja over the past one week. The cyclone was caused due to low pressure area over South west Bay of Bengal. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister E Palaniswami met Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss about the impact and destruction caused by Cyclone Gaja across the state. Most of the coastal areas in the state have been impacted.
In a shocking incident, a 12 year old girl, who was asked to stay outdoors because she was menstruating died after a tree fell on the barn where she was sleeping. According to reports, her family from Annaikkadu was following an age old custom where girls who menstruate have to stay outdoors for over 16 days. The girl and her mother were sleeping in a barn outside the home when a coconut tree fell onto the barn due to heavy winds and instantly killed the girl. Her mother was admitted in a nearby hospital. The incident sparked outrage across the district.
Since telecommunication and power was disrupted, people took to social media in order to express their concern.
We don't have telecommunication to communicate everyone still we are suffered @airtelindia @airtelnews @Airtel_Presence can you fix the base station quickly in my village. Place: Kalathur , Pattukkottai Taulk, #Gaja @tnsdma @SubashiniBA #SaveDelta #BounceBackDelta @CMOTamilNadu-Sundaramoorthy, Twitter User
Reports state that over 4 lakh people have been left homeless after the cyclone. Tamil Nadu government has requested the central government for an aide of Rs 15,000 crore to rebuild lives and homes of people who were affected by Cyclone Gaja.
Celebrities have come together to support Cyclone Gaja victims. Actors Rajinikanth, Kamal Hassan, Vijay Sethupathi, Suriya and Jyothika contributed for the reconstruction of affected areas. Amongst them was music director AR Rahman too.
“My Sufi Ensemble and I will perform a benefit concert in Toronto on 24 Dec at Metro Toronto Convention Centre Part of the proceeds will go to for Gaja Cyclone relief in TN I will be joined by Javed Ali, Sivamani & Sana Moussa”, tweeted AR Rahman.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
February 16, 2019
- Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
February 16, 2019
- Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Udaan Idol Little Champs, Radio Udaan's annual music competition for disabled kids attracts huge response
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 9, 2019 Race For 7
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Misophonia
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta to tie the knot on 9 March
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 11, 2019
Headlines February 6, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News