Cyclone Gaja causes more damage in Tamil Nadu
November 23, 2018
Cyclone Gaja has caused lot of devastation across the state of Tamil Nadu. On Thursday, Chennai district collector ordered all the schools and colleges to be shut due to heavy rainfall. Madras University has cancelled all the exams that were scheduled for Thursday. Officials have requested people to be on alert. Chennai and nearby districts witnessed heavy rainfall on both Wednesday and Thursday.
Nearly 50 people were killed in Cyclone Gaja over the past one week. The cyclone was caused due to low pressure area over South west Bay of Bengal. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister E Palaniswami met Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss about the impact and destruction caused by Cyclone Gaja across the state. Most of the coastal areas in the state have been impacted.
In a shocking incident, a 12 year old girl, who was asked to stay outdoors because she was menstruating died after a tree fell on the barn where she was sleeping. According to reports, her family from Annaikkadu was following an age old custom where girls who menstruate have to stay outdoors for over 16 days. The girl and her mother were sleeping in a barn outside the home when a coconut tree fell onto the barn due to heavy winds and instantly killed the girl. Her mother was admitted in a nearby hospital. The incident sparked outrage across the district.
Since telecommunication and power was disrupted, people took to social media in order to express their concern.
We don't have telecommunication to communicate everyone still we are suffered @airtelindia @airtelnews @Airtel_Presence can you fix the base station quickly in my village. Place: Kalathur , Pattukkottai Taulk, #Gaja @tnsdma @SubashiniBA #SaveDelta #BounceBackDelta @CMOTamilNadu-Sundaramoorthy, Twitter User
Reports state that over 4 lakh people have been left homeless after the cyclone. Tamil Nadu government has requested the central government for an aide of Rs 15,000 crore to rebuild lives and homes of people who were affected by Cyclone Gaja.
Celebrities have come together to support Cyclone Gaja victims. Actors Rajinikanth, Kamal Hassan, Vijay Sethupathi, Suriya and Jyothika contributed for the reconstruction of affected areas. Amongst them was music director AR Rahman too.
"My Sufi Ensemble and I will perform a benefit concert in Toronto on 24 Dec at Metro Toronto Convention Centre Part of the proceeds will go to for Gaja Cyclone relief in TN I will be joined by Javed Ali, Sivamani & Sana Moussa", tweeted AR Rahman.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News