Thousands of Maharashtra farmers march to demand loan waiver
November 23, 2018
Thousands of farmers in Maharashtra walked to the state capital yesterday demanding benefits.
As per reports, around 7000 farmers who are the members of the agricultural and tribal communities in Maharashtra came to Mumbai to present their demands to the government.
The protesters demanded benefits such as loan waivers, drought-related help, an increase in minimum support price for crops and more.
The demand includes drought compensation of Rs. 50,000 per acre for non-irrigated land and Rs. 1 lakh per acre for irrigated land. They also demanded that the loan waiver should be complete and unconditional.
While the tribal protesters want the Forest Rights Act to be implemented with immediate effect and also jobs for youth.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis met leaders of the farmers in the evening yesterday. The Chief Minister gave a written assurance to the protesting farmers that he will soon take actions to meet most of the demands.
This was the third large scale protest by farmers witnessed in Maharashtra this year. This time the farmers also had the support from Lok Sangharsh Morcha (LSM), Janata Dal (Secular), Aam Aadmi Party and the Shiv Sena.
The protest march by the farmers was peaceful. Many people took to social media to share views about the farmer's protest march
IMRAN KHAN @imrank52 tweeted," Wasted Rs1200 Crores this year on Yoga day, that too in a country where our farmers are left with destitutes and abysmal poverty. They are committing suicides and getting killed, when demanding loan waivers. Nvr ever had this happened even during the British yoke #FarmersProtest"
ABHIJEET DHOBALE@ABHIJEETDHOBAL2, wrote,"Yesterday Govt said that they have done loam waiver of 100% farmers. But these farmers and I heard the same from my neighbors also. Govt has undertaken many better projects in Maharashtra but failed when it comes to farmers.#FarmersProtest @narendramodi @RVikhePatil"
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News