Thousands of Maharashtra farmers march to demand loan waiver
November 23, 2018
Thousands of farmers in Maharashtra walked to the state capital yesterday demanding benefits.
As per reports, around 7000 farmers who are the members of the agricultural and tribal communities in Maharashtra came to Mumbai to present their demands to the government.
The protesters demanded benefits such as loan waivers, drought-related help, an increase in minimum support price for crops and more.
The demand includes drought compensation of Rs. 50,000 per acre for non-irrigated land and Rs. 1 lakh per acre for irrigated land. They also demanded that the loan waiver should be complete and unconditional.
While the tribal protesters want the Forest Rights Act to be implemented with immediate effect and also jobs for youth.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis met leaders of the farmers in the evening yesterday. The Chief Minister gave a written assurance to the protesting farmers that he will soon take actions to meet most of the demands.
This was the third large scale protest by farmers witnessed in Maharashtra this year. This time the farmers also had the support from Lok Sangharsh Morcha (LSM), Janata Dal (Secular), Aam Aadmi Party and the Shiv Sena.
The protest march by the farmers was peaceful. Many people took to social media to share views about the farmer's protest march
IMRAN KHAN @imrank52 tweeted," Wasted Rs1200 Crores this year on Yoga day, that too in a country where our farmers are left with destitutes and abysmal poverty. They are committing suicides and getting killed, when demanding loan waivers. Nvr ever had this happened even during the British yoke #FarmersProtest"
ABHIJEET DHOBALE@ABHIJEETDHOBAL2, wrote,"Yesterday Govt said that they have done loam waiver of 100% farmers. But these farmers and I heard the same from my neighbors also. Govt has undertaken many better projects in Maharashtra but failed when it comes to farmers.#FarmersProtest @narendramodi @RVikhePatil"
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News