Early intervention programs turn hope into reality for kids with developmental disorders
November 28, 2018
There are trained, skilled professionals and organizations in India that help out children with developmental disabilities with early intervention programmes. Yet, many parents do not access them at the right time and it is important for the government to take up initiatives that ensure all children undergo early screening.
What is early intervention? This is crucial for any child with a developmental disorder as it gives timely insight into their developmental delays and health conditions. Through the right programs, the child benefits later on in life.
Early intervention is usually done for children until six years of age. That is when the physical and mental growth can be rightly assessed. For instance, some children with autism might be non-verbal. But with the right speech therapies, they will be able to communicate basic things in due course of time.
Early intervention hugely impacts the overall learning and holistic development of an infant or a young child. They learn, experience and apply their activities of daily living with ease whether it is in the field of academics, self help skills, social interaction, physical development and communication. They also learn to work with confidence in an adaptive environment. - Nandita Paul, Special Educator.
There are various methods for early intervention. Screening and assessment, psychological services, speech and language therapies, medical and nursing services, physical and occupational therapies, hearing and vision services are some of the most commonly used ones.
"Most parents do not realise its relevance", says Shakila Banu, Founder of JDC Sparsha, a school that reaches out to kids with disabilities. "We try to make them aware, but often they refuse to listen to us. They wait for a few years and then come back to us but often it's too late. Our target is a time span of three months to provide the right program for a child. In a month's time, most children start showing improved social skills, communication, eye contact and even start following commands. Most of our kids have benefitted through early intervention".
Early intervention enhances quality of living, makes kids independent and improves the capacity of families to meet their child's needs. With the right guidance and support from experts regarding early intervention, parents can ensure that their child with a developmental disorder will have a good quality of life in years to come.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News