Convention on safety of disabled girls & women raises vital issues
A convention was organised in New Delhi to address the safety of disabled girls and women. Organised by the National Platform for Rights of the Disabled (NPRD), it sought to underline how the community remains vulnerable to sexual attacks despite tougher laws.
Murali Dharan, Secretary, NPRD is an active supporter of women's rights and has drafted many petitions in this regard. Through the convention, the NPRD aims to create awareness about the continued attacks.
The idea was to come up with an action plan that can ensure the safety of disabled women.
The event was attended by over 150 people that included members of women’s organisations, legal experts and activists from various sectors and survivors of sexual attacks. The speakers at the convention shared valuable insights about the need for changes at the social and judicial levels.
It was opened by Kamla Bhasin who is known for her contribution to the women’s rights movement in India.
There is a need for all round improvement to ensure safety of women with disabilities. The police and the judiciary have to ensure the protection of disabled women and children in the country. Murali Dharan, Secretary, NPRD
A resolution was adopted at the convention that highlighted the main points discussed.
• It was agreed point that there has been a drastic increase in sexually motivated violence against women with disabilities.
• Attendees also agreed to the fact there is a failure in the implementation of laws that address concerns of disabled girls and women in the country.
• The situation is made worse due to lack of awareness and empathy towards the rights of girls and women with disabilities.
• The convention resulted in a unanimous agreement about better implementation of criminal laws, POCSO and other laws governing sexual assaults on women and girls with disabilities.
• The judiciary, police and society in general need to be sensitized towards the plight of victims and survivors of sexual assault.
• Rehabilitation of survivors also needs to be carried out properly to give them a chance at better life.
These are some of the points that were discussed at the convention. Existing laws need to be strengthened and there should be proper audit and monitoring process to ensure their effective implementation.
Shampa Sengupta, Joint Secretary, NPRD shared her thoughts with NewzHook about the other challenges that are faced by disabled women after they experience a sexual attack.
“Attitudinal barriers like police saying 'who will assault a disabled girl', women’s helplines being inaccessible to hearing impaired women, physical barriers in police stations, lack of information among lawyers, judiciary are some barriers.”
The situation looks grim in the country at present. Organisations such as the NPRD are focused on bring about the much needed change.
The NPRD is developing a future course of action and hopes to get the support from other organisations as well. "The next steps are meeting different authorities, advocacy with women and child department urging them to take measures urgently," emphasized Sengupta.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Events December 17, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Travel in Goa becomes accessible thanks to Ezy Mov, the wheelchair taxi service
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018