Kolkata air pollution levels worse than Delhi, says experts
November 28, 2018
After Delhi, air pollution levels in Kolkata have reached hazardous levels. According to reports, Kolkata is now the most polluted city in India. Records during the month of November shows shocking results of rise in air pollution, especially after celebrating Diwali. Experts point out that onset of winter is only going to make things worse because people will have difficulties in breathing.
The two machines installed to detect pollution levels in Kolkata are located at the Victoria memorial and BT Road in Kolkata. Both the devices have shown alarming levels of rise in pollution. But sadly, the government or law makers are not taking any measures to curb or control the situation.
Residents of Kolkata took to social media to express their anxiety and worry over the situation. Many posted pictures of Kolkata before and after Diwali celebrations.
Same camera,same angle,same time,same location!Look what have we done this Diwali,despite the curbs imposed by SC!South City VANISHED!This is another P.C.Sorcar's magic! Where is our Pollution Control Sarkar??? #DiwaliPollution #KolkataOnDiwaliNight #KolkataAirPollution #Kolkata- Sange Suman, Twitter User.
Experts have warned residents. Those who are walking, jogging or going outdoors must be extremely careful and vigilant. In fact, a morning walker recently suffered lung problems and passed away. The incident happened at KFR Ground in the city. Experts pointed out that the morning air is most polluted.
Things get worse in Kolkata because of lack of greenery. The city lacks open spaces and greens which can absorb harmful chemicals like Carbon di Oxide. Apathy of concerned officials is only worsening the situation!
"@MamataOfficial CM of West Bengal, this negligence is appalling. What steps are being taken by the government? Start with a pollution and diesel vehicles check. #kolkataairpollution #বায়ুদূষ", tweeted Sreyoshi Dey.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News