Thousands of Indian farmers protest in Delhi for debt relief
December 1, 2018
Over the past few weeks, farmers have been protesting for a debt waiver, which seems to be going to unheard ears of government authorities. On Tuesday, over thousands of farmers came together in the national capital of New Delhi to put across their demands to the government. They began a two day protest that started off on Thursday. The protest, known as Kisan Mukti March is one of the biggest protests that India has witnessed recently. During the protests, farmers said that they needed a waiver in their loans and not a Ram Mandir at Ayodhya!
Farmers from Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and other parts of India came together and asked the government to waiver off their loans that has come up to lakhs of rupees for just one farmer! Most of the farmers, who are elderly, have come to the national capital without any food, clothing or even proper shelter. Thousands of farmers marched from the Ramilila Grounds to the Parliament on Friday.
Most of the social media users were seen supporting the farmers and their cause.
On my way back from Ramleeela Maidan, where thousands of farmers have come to march to Parliament tmrw. They have been betrayed by the govt, but their spirits are high. As one of them told me, farmers have brought down mightiest of empires, what is the Modi govt? #KisanMuktiMarch- Umar Khalid, Twitter User.
Farmers, workers and agricultural workers were seen waving red flags after support from left groups and raising slogans on the streets of New Delhi. The march was organized by All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee (AIKSCC) by collaborating with other farmer welfare organizations across India.
Many social media users even criticized the central government for being insensitive to needs of India's farmers.
"When farmers across the country protest against the disastrous decisions of the Modi Govt & demand their rights they are fired upon by like in Mandsaur MP. BJP Govts are anti farmer. Farmers have arrived in Delhi today to expose this!! Join them in #KisanMuktiMarch", tweeted Kavita Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
June 25, 2019
- RBI Deputy Governor resigns
June 25, 2019
- Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
June 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News