Thousands of Indian farmers protest in Delhi for debt relief
Over the past few weeks, farmers have been protesting for a debt waiver, which seems to be going to unheard ears of government authorities. On Tuesday, over thousands of farmers came together in the national capital of New Delhi to put across their demands to the government. They began a two day protest that started off on Thursday. The protest, known as Kisan Mukti March is one of the biggest protests that India has witnessed recently. During the protests, farmers said that they needed a waiver in their loans and not a Ram Mandir at Ayodhya!
Farmers from Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and other parts of India came together and asked the government to waiver off their loans that has come up to lakhs of rupees for just one farmer! Most of the farmers, who are elderly, have come to the national capital without any food, clothing or even proper shelter. Thousands of farmers marched from the Ramilila Grounds to the Parliament on Friday.
Most of the social media users were seen supporting the farmers and their cause.
On my way back from Ramleeela Maidan, where thousands of farmers have come to march to Parliament tmrw. They have been betrayed by the govt, but their spirits are high. As one of them told me, farmers have brought down mightiest of empires, what is the Modi govt? #KisanMuktiMarch- Umar Khalid, Twitter User.
Farmers, workers and agricultural workers were seen waving red flags after support from left groups and raising slogans on the streets of New Delhi. The march was organized by All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee (AIKSCC) by collaborating with other farmer welfare organizations across India.
Many social media users even criticized the central government for being insensitive to needs of India’s farmers.
“When farmers across the country protest against the disastrous decisions of the Modi Govt & demand their rights they are fired upon by like in Mandsaur MP. BJP Govts are anti farmer. Farmers have arrived in Delhi today to expose this!! Join them in #KisanMuktiMarch”, tweeted Kavita Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
December 17, 2018
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
December 17, 2018
- P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines December 16, 2018
Headlines December 17, 2018
Headlines December 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018