Thousands of Indian farmers protest in Delhi for debt relief
Over the past few weeks, farmers have been protesting for a debt waiver, which seems to be going to unheard ears of government authorities. On Tuesday, over thousands of farmers came together in the national capital of New Delhi to put across their demands to the government. They began a two day protest that started off on Thursday. The protest, known as Kisan Mukti March is one of the biggest protests that India has witnessed recently. During the protests, farmers said that they needed a waiver in their loans and not a Ram Mandir at Ayodhya!
Farmers from Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and other parts of India came together and asked the government to waiver off their loans that has come up to lakhs of rupees for just one farmer! Most of the farmers, who are elderly, have come to the national capital without any food, clothing or even proper shelter. Thousands of farmers marched from the Ramilila Grounds to the Parliament on Friday.
Most of the social media users were seen supporting the farmers and their cause.
On my way back from Ramleeela Maidan, where thousands of farmers have come to march to Parliament tmrw. They have been betrayed by the govt, but their spirits are high. As one of them told me, farmers have brought down mightiest of empires, what is the Modi govt? #KisanMuktiMarch- Umar Khalid, Twitter User.
Farmers, workers and agricultural workers were seen waving red flags after support from left groups and raising slogans on the streets of New Delhi. The march was organized by All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee (AIKSCC) by collaborating with other farmer welfare organizations across India.
Many social media users even criticized the central government for being insensitive to needs of India’s farmers.
“When farmers across the country protest against the disastrous decisions of the Modi Govt & demand their rights they are fired upon by like in Mandsaur MP. BJP Govts are anti farmer. Farmers have arrived in Delhi today to expose this!! Join them in #KisanMuktiMarch”, tweeted Kavita Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
February 17, 2019
- Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
February 17, 2019
- Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Mammootty watches latest film 'Peranbu' with disabled kids at Kochi theatre
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 6, 2019
Headlines February 5, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News