Thousands of Indian farmers protest in Delhi for debt relief
December 1, 2018
Over the past few weeks, farmers have been protesting for a debt waiver, which seems to be going to unheard ears of government authorities. On Tuesday, over thousands of farmers came together in the national capital of New Delhi to put across their demands to the government. They began a two day protest that started off on Thursday. The protest, known as Kisan Mukti March is one of the biggest protests that India has witnessed recently. During the protests, farmers said that they needed a waiver in their loans and not a Ram Mandir at Ayodhya!
Farmers from Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and other parts of India came together and asked the government to waiver off their loans that has come up to lakhs of rupees for just one farmer! Most of the farmers, who are elderly, have come to the national capital without any food, clothing or even proper shelter. Thousands of farmers marched from the Ramilila Grounds to the Parliament on Friday.
Most of the social media users were seen supporting the farmers and their cause.
On my way back from Ramleeela Maidan, where thousands of farmers have come to march to Parliament tmrw. They have been betrayed by the govt, but their spirits are high. As one of them told me, farmers have brought down mightiest of empires, what is the Modi govt? #KisanMuktiMarch- Umar Khalid, Twitter User.
Farmers, workers and agricultural workers were seen waving red flags after support from left groups and raising slogans on the streets of New Delhi. The march was organized by All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee (AIKSCC) by collaborating with other farmer welfare organizations across India.
Many social media users even criticized the central government for being insensitive to needs of India's farmers.
"When farmers across the country protest against the disastrous decisions of the Modi Govt & demand their rights they are fired upon by like in Mandsaur MP. BJP Govts are anti farmer. Farmers have arrived in Delhi today to expose this!! Join them in #KisanMuktiMarch", tweeted Kavita Krishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pragya Thakur sparks controversy with her statements, gets court notice
April 22, 2019
- Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
April 22, 2019
- Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
April 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News