Some fun activities for wheelchair users this winter
December 3, 2018
Goodbye to summer woes, winter is here! Most of the places in India are gearing up to welcome winter after months of scorching heat and sun. This season brings its own set of bodily challenges, including rough skin, dehydration and so on which is applicable for people with and without disabilities.
Unlike many other parts of the world, India does not experience heavy winters. Global warming has made things worse. So now our winters are mild, something which is bearable.
Winter is also a time to go out and explore places near you. Since the holiday seasons are beginning, there is much to go out and see! If you are a wheelchair user and wondering how to spend this winter with some outdoor activities, we have some great tips for you. Your mobility issues do not have to limit you from exploring and seeing new things.
Dr Akshay Kumar is a wheelchair user who lives at Kangra in Himachal Pradesh, one of the coldest states in India.
Currently, I'am working on my book which is a collection of short stories and poems. So I will be travelling to places like Shimla and New Delhi as part of working on my book. This is the ideal season to travel in Himachal as well. There are lot of snow covered peaks which are a sight to witness, even to people who have been living here for many years. So travelling is the main thing in my list for this winter- Dr Akshay Kumar
Here are some outdoor activities for wheelchair users to try out this winter
- Plan a vacation- December is the holiday season that we all look forward to. Since the weather is perfect at most places, we wouldn't mind going for a vacation. There are many accessible spots in India that are ideal for wheelchair users. If you are planning for a vacation abroad, your options just broadened! Do a thorough research on the internet regarding places that interests you and your family. There are some great discounts and offers this season. Check out for the best ones!
- Movies and malls- How about clubbing shopping and movies together? As you might know, most of the shopping malls in India are accessible for wheelchair users. In fact, it is a government law! Weekdays are less crowded at shopping malls whereas weekends will be thronged by people since it is the holiday season. There are some great movies awaiting release this December. So club your shopping and movie plans together. You will have a great time whether you are with friends or family.
- Go on a road trip- Are you someone who enjoys travelling? Then, a road trip is your ideal break for this winter. Most wheelchair users have customised cars that they drive on their own. If you like driving and would love to go on a road trip, hop in to your car and enjoy a drive. Unlike rest of the year, the weather will be perfect for a drive.
- Participate in community work- So when you are part of an NGO or a community, you will have to volunteer, almost every day. If there is a NGO nearby your home, join their work. There are many communities and NGO's that works for disabled people, orphans, senior citizens or people from economically background families.
Vinayna Khurana from Delhi is a writer and poet.
"Winter is the right season to go outdoors for wheelchair users. The weather is perfect too. I plan to go out for shopping with my mother. We have our school re-union which is also in my to-do list for this season", says Khurana.
Watch in Sign Language
- A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
March 21, 2019
- Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
March 20, 2019
- Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
March 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Headlines March 16, 2019 9 people of Indian origin missing in New Zealand mosque attack
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News