Massive protest march in West Bengal to raise demands of people with disabilities
Paschim Banga Rajya Pratibandhi Sammilani-PBRPS represents more than 1 lakh disabled people in Bengal. It is the largest organization in the state that has been working to empower and unite the people with disabilities.
On the occasion of International Day for the Persons with Disabilities on 3 December, PBRPS is organizing a massive protest march with the call of “Kolkata Chalo”.
"We had been celebrating 3rd December since the time this day was declared International Disability Day ... over the years, how we observe this day, specifically meant for us, changed - We are aware that UN declares a theme every year but we adopt demands according to local needs." – says Sailen Chowdhury, President of PBRPS
The Kolkata Chalo protest is inviting disabled people from all part of the state to come together at Rani Rashmoni Road, a place known as centre of Kolkata’s protests.
The main demand raised by the PBRPS is the implementation of the provisions of Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act. The organization is demanding that the act should be practically implemented in the state of West Bengal so that disabled people can live with dignity and equal opportunities.
Around 10,000 people are expected to be marching on 3 December towards the office of the Disability Commissioner.
The leaders of the PBRPS will submit a Deputation regarding the demands to the Disability commissioner.
We will wait for 3 months after giving our deputation. If our demands are not met by March, we will organise stronger protest march and even go on for hunger strike if required. But we will see that RPD Act 2016 is implemented properly in our state. Said Kanti Ganguly, General Secretary, PBRPS
Some of the demands that the PBRPS is raising are as follows.
Statewide implementation of RPWD Act, 2016.
Faster issuance of disabled certificates to people with disabilities.
The state is lagging behind in the issuance of UDID or the Swabalamban cards. This needs to be looked into and resolved.
Speedy allocation of benefits to disabled people under the various schemes.
In view of increase in the sexual assaults on disabled women, strict action is needed.
The increase in reservation in education and employment for people with disabilities should be implemented.
- Changes to Manabik Pension Scheme to accommodate people with 40% disabilities.
The march will be attended by people with disabilities, caretakers, volunteers and activists. PBRPS is hoping to get all these people together to bring about the much needed change in the government policy and machinery in the state.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019