Australian fans criticize local media for insulting Indian cricketers
December 5, 2018
The India vs Australia Test series currently on in Australia is attracting strong reactions from the local press ahead of the first Test at Adelaide this week. One publication decided to insult them by calling Team India The Scaredy Bats.
The report said that the Indian stars were "scared of the bounce" in Brisbane, "scared of the unknown" in Perth and "scared of the dark" in Adelaide. This was a comment at the Board of Cricket Control of India (BCCI)'s refusal to play a day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval.
The Australian public and mediapersons called the tabloid "boorish".
Anyone else tired of the childish and predictable mocking of visiting teams by Australian media? It's become a boorish tradition that reflects poorly on our country. - Richard Hinds, Sportswriter
In response, someone tweeted, "It's not like those "Scaredy Bats" aren't going to spend the rest of the summer grinding Australia into the ground".
Another tweet reminded the tabloid how India had done the last time it played Australia - "Well last time in Australia, Kohli made 4 hundreds and averaged 86.50, Vijay averaged 60.25, Rahane averaged 57 and Rahul in just his second Test made 110 at the SCG, so umm yeah I think they'll be fine".
India will look to overcome their poor record in Tests in Australia hen they face the hosts in the four-Test series that begins on Thursday.
Since 1947 Indian sides touring Australia have performed well but so far India has not won any Test series. Out of the 12 series played, Australia have won 9 while the sides have drawn 3.
The forthcoming series is being seen as India's best chance to break this record, especially with Steve Smith and David Warner not playing.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 14, 2019
Headlines April 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News