India vs Australia announce teams for Adelaide Test
Team India announced their players for the first Test against Australia at the Adelaide Oval. A 12-member team led by captain Virat Kohli will take on the Aussies starting today.
The opening partnership was kept a suspense until the last minute with a toss up likely between Hanuma Vihari and Rohit Sharma. Vihari, who is a batting allrounder, made his Test debut in the Oval Test this year. He made a first-innings score of 56 runs and took 3 wickets for 37 runs. Rohit played the last of his 25 Tests against South Africa in January this year. He has the advantage of touring Australia before, averaging 28.83 in six innings with one half-century in 2014-15.
India have never won a Test series on Australian soil and enter the series as the No.1 Test team in the world.
Australia sprang a surprise by dropping all-rounder Mitch Marsh for the first Test, as Usman Khawaja's return was confirmed despite his brother's arrest for allegedly framing a colleague with a fake terror plot.
Batsmen Travis Head and Peter Handscomb were preferred to Marsh. Marcus Harris will make his debut as opener.
Aussie captain Tim Paine said Marsh was dropped for lack of consistency.
Mitch Marsh has not been as consistent as he would like and we would like. We know the talent that Mitch has and we know that most likely at some stage in this series we will need him. We are taking the opportunity at the moment to go back and play a Shield game and get some cricket under belt. - Tim Paine, Captain, Australia cricket team
Marsh's absence will put pressure on other players who will have to take on more overs.
"We obviously have a lot of confidence in Nathan Lyon bowling a lot of overs if we need to", said Paine. "And probably the fact that all our three quicks go in real fresh. We have confidence in them, particularly at the start of the series."
India's 12-man squad are:
Murali Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (capt), Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant, Ravi Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah
Australia's playing XI:
Marcus Harris, Aaron Finch, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Travis Head, Peter Handscomb, Tim Paine (capt), Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc
Watch in Sign Language
- Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
February 18, 2019
- Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
February 18, 2019
- Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019