India vs Australia announce teams for Adelaide Test
December 6, 2018
Team India announced their players for the first Test against Australia at the Adelaide Oval. A 12-member team led by captain Virat Kohli will take on the Aussies starting today.
The opening partnership was kept a suspense until the last minute with a toss up likely between Hanuma Vihari and Rohit Sharma. Vihari, who is a batting allrounder, made his Test debut in the Oval Test this year. He made a first-innings score of 56 runs and took 3 wickets for 37 runs. Rohit played the last of his 25 Tests against South Africa in January this year. He has the advantage of touring Australia before, averaging 28.83 in six innings with one half-century in 2014-15.
India have never won a Test series on Australian soil and enter the series as the No.1 Test team in the world.
Australia sprang a surprise by dropping all-rounder Mitch Marsh for the first Test, as Usman Khawaja's return was confirmed despite his brother's arrest for allegedly framing a colleague with a fake terror plot.
Batsmen Travis Head and Peter Handscomb were preferred to Marsh. Marcus Harris will make his debut as opener.
Aussie captain Tim Paine said Marsh was dropped for lack of consistency.
Mitch Marsh has not been as consistent as he would like and we would like. We know the talent that Mitch has and we know that most likely at some stage in this series we will need him. We are taking the opportunity at the moment to go back and play a Shield game and get some cricket under belt. - Tim Paine, Captain, Australia cricket team
Marsh's absence will put pressure on other players who will have to take on more overs.
"We obviously have a lot of confidence in Nathan Lyon bowling a lot of overs if we need to", said Paine. "And probably the fact that all our three quicks go in real fresh. We have confidence in them, particularly at the start of the series."
India's 12-man squad are:
Murali Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (capt), Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant, Ravi Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah
Australia's playing XI:
Marcus Harris, Aaron Finch, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Travis Head, Peter Handscomb, Tim Paine (capt), Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress list for Delhi polls out
April 23, 2019
- Sri Lanka declares emergency, Islamist group identified
April 23, 2019
- Dhoni clocks highest ever IPL score
April 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Parasports April 23, 2019 'Playing golf gives me satisfaction, makes me happy' - My Take by Ankush Saha, para golfer
- Get-hooked April 23, 2019 Delhi-based Coloured Zebra uses theatre for holistic growth
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 19, 2019
Headlines April 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News