India's Top 5 accessibility initiatives of 2018
December 27, 2018
There was plenty to celebrate in terms of path-breaking accessibility initiatives in 2018.
Accessible ElectionsTop of the list is the Accessible Elections campaign by the Election Commission of India (ECI). From voter identity cards in Braille called Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) to accessible photo voter slips to appointing Disability Coordinates at the Assembly constituency, the ECI went all out to make voting an inclusive affair.
PVR goes inclusiveWho doesn't love the movies? In a welcome step, PVR Cinemas announced its Accessible Cinema program on the occasion of International Day of Disabled Persons. The aim being to promote a culture of inclusive entertainment for all. The program in its first phase will pan out to 30 cities with 50 theaters equipped with assistive equipment and technology.As Dipendra Minocha, Former Trustee, Saksham put it, "Any mainstream efforts to access is a big step". Saksham has been spearheading efforts to make movies accessible for blind and low vision audiences".
Bengaluru restaurantsPrateek Khandelwal, the Bengaluru-based entrepreneur was a happy man this year with 16 restaurants in the city committing under his campaign, #RampMyCity to making their premises accessible. Pretty incredible given that this happened in just 10 months.
As one restaurant manager pointed out, this had brought them even more fans. "After we installed wheelchair ramps, we had a lady customer on a wheelchair. She was extremely happy to see the features that we introduced", said Brijesh K Chandran of Kaze.
Lucknow zooThis initiative won the hearts of many readers. Lucknow Zoo has shown the way by becoming accessible for blind and low vision visitors. This was spearheaded by the NGO Meet Welfare Foundation, which has been working to empower people with visual impairments for about 15 years.
Savlon in BrailleAnd finally leading company ITC launched popular hygiene brand Savlon in Braille packaging, making it the talk of social media and winning praise from the blind community.
Many of us do not realize the everyday struggles of the visually impaired especially when everything around is designed for people with vision. A braille pack is not only enabling but also makes it easily accessible for all. Definitely, an inclusive beginning! - Pallavi Kadam, Executive Director, National Association for the Blind (NAB)
Watch in Sign Language
- Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
March 17, 2019
- Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
March 17, 2019
- Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
March 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Get-hooked March 12, 2019 Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this rare disease
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 #WonderWoman - Acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal shows incredible will in the face of repeated odds
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Learn valuable self-defense techniques at this session for disabled women in Mumbai
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 15, 2019 21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
- Events March 13, 2019 Sign Language Movement
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Needed: An election manifesto for 80 million disabled citizens - My Take by Dr Ketna L Mehta
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News