India's Top 5 accessibility initiatives of 2018
December 27, 2018
There was plenty to celebrate in terms of path-breaking accessibility initiatives in 2018.
Accessible ElectionsTop of the list is the Accessible Elections campaign by the Election Commission of India (ECI). From voter identity cards in Braille called Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) to accessible photo voter slips to appointing Disability Coordinates at the Assembly constituency, the ECI went all out to make voting an inclusive affair.
PVR goes inclusiveWho doesn't love the movies? In a welcome step, PVR Cinemas announced its Accessible Cinema program on the occasion of International Day of Disabled Persons. The aim being to promote a culture of inclusive entertainment for all. The program in its first phase will pan out to 30 cities with 50 theaters equipped with assistive equipment and technology.As Dipendra Minocha, Former Trustee, Saksham put it, "Any mainstream efforts to access is a big step". Saksham has been spearheading efforts to make movies accessible for blind and low vision audiences".
Bengaluru restaurantsPrateek Khandelwal, the Bengaluru-based entrepreneur was a happy man this year with 16 restaurants in the city committing under his campaign, #RampMyCity to making their premises accessible. Pretty incredible given that this happened in just 10 months.
As one restaurant manager pointed out, this had brought them even more fans. "After we installed wheelchair ramps, we had a lady customer on a wheelchair. She was extremely happy to see the features that we introduced", said Brijesh K Chandran of Kaze.
Lucknow zooThis initiative won the hearts of many readers. Lucknow Zoo has shown the way by becoming accessible for blind and low vision visitors. This was spearheaded by the NGO Meet Welfare Foundation, which has been working to empower people with visual impairments for about 15 years.
Savlon in BrailleAnd finally leading company ITC launched popular hygiene brand Savlon in Braille packaging, making it the talk of social media and winning praise from the blind community.
Many of us do not realize the everyday struggles of the visually impaired especially when everything around is designed for people with vision. A braille pack is not only enabling but also makes it easily accessible for all. Definitely, an inclusive beginning! - Pallavi Kadam, Executive Director, National Association for the Blind (NAB)
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Education August 12, 2019 A YouTuber by chance, Husna Ameen proves disability is no barrier to pursue dreams
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Events August 14, 2019 Deaf short film Festival 2019
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 Foreign doctors question MCI guidelines regarding disabled medical aspirants ahead of crucial hearing
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 A personal struggle inspired this elderly couple to start Balajothi Centre to empower disabled children
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News