Priyanka Chopra article taken down after angry reactions on social media
December 7, 2018
There were angry reactions on the Internet to an article that suggested that the marriage between Priyanka Chopra and American actor Nick Jonas. Titled "Is Priyanka Chopra And Nick Jonas' Love For Real?', there were reactions that the piece was sexist, racist and disgusting
Following the comments the magazine The Cut took down the article and apologized.
An earlier story about Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas did not meet our standards. We've removed it and apologise. - The Cut
The article suggested that Priyanka was a modern-day scam artist and that Jonas had been forced to get into a frau relationship against his will. The writer of the piece, Mariah Smith and the magazine were strongly attacked on Twitter. Among those who tweeted was actor Sonam Kapoor Ahuja who commented, "For a publication that 'shows women what they are made of' The Cut has a lot to answer for. The article on Priyanka Chopra was sexist, racist and disgusting. Also it's written by a woman which is so sad. It reeks of envy and bitterness."
The article also played down Priyanka's achievements and projected Jonas as a man "blinded by love" who wanted a possible fling with Hollywood's latest It Woman, but instead he wound up staring straight at a life sentence with a global scam artist."
One person attacked the writer saying, "You're so mad that a deserving Indian woman found someone who values her worth. The one time a South Asian woman is thriving in Hollywood after working so hard, she gets called a scammer. I hope you do some soul-searching." While another comment read: "Forget petty. This piece is problematic and embarrassing."
Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas' three-day wedding celebration ended over the weekend. On Tuesday, a reception for the newlyweds was hosted in New Delhi.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News