Priyanka Chopra article taken down after angry reactions on social media
December 7, 2018
There were angry reactions on the Internet to an article that suggested that the marriage between Priyanka Chopra and American actor Nick Jonas. Titled "Is Priyanka Chopra And Nick Jonas' Love For Real?', there were reactions that the piece was sexist, racist and disgusting
Following the comments the magazine The Cut took down the article and apologized.
An earlier story about Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas did not meet our standards. We've removed it and apologise. - The Cut
The article suggested that Priyanka was a modern-day scam artist and that Jonas had been forced to get into a frau relationship against his will. The writer of the piece, Mariah Smith and the magazine were strongly attacked on Twitter. Among those who tweeted was actor Sonam Kapoor Ahuja who commented, "For a publication that 'shows women what they are made of' The Cut has a lot to answer for. The article on Priyanka Chopra was sexist, racist and disgusting. Also it's written by a woman which is so sad. It reeks of envy and bitterness."
The article also played down Priyanka's achievements and projected Jonas as a man "blinded by love" who wanted a possible fling with Hollywood's latest It Woman, but instead he wound up staring straight at a life sentence with a global scam artist."
One person attacked the writer saying, "You're so mad that a deserving Indian woman found someone who values her worth. The one time a South Asian woman is thriving in Hollywood after working so hard, she gets called a scammer. I hope you do some soul-searching." While another comment read: "Forget petty. This piece is problematic and embarrassing."
Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas' three-day wedding celebration ended over the weekend. On Tuesday, a reception for the newlyweds was hosted in New Delhi.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News