Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
December 7, 2018
Section 144 has been extended in Sabarimala till 8 December midnight. It has been imposed in Nilakkal and Pamba areas. Section 144 prohibits assembly of four or more people in a place. The decision was taken based on the reports by a special officer and additional magistrate in-charge. The orders were issued on 17 November and were supposed to be implemented only till Wednesday midnight.
A monitoring committee had already visited Sabarimala to see how the situations are. The committee also had to ensure that the devotees who are visiting the hill shrine do not have to face any hassles.
Opposition parties BJP and UDF have been holding hunger strikes and protests asking the government to lift the ban. Kerala governor Palanisamy Sathasivan tweeted that the demand for lifting the section has already reached him.
An eight member BJP delegation led by Ms.Saroj Pandey MP& National General Secretary,@BJP4India met me at Kochi and submitted a petition demanding the lifting of Prohibitory orders (144) in and around Sabarimala- Palanisamy Sathasivam
From past few decades, women of menstruating age were banned from entering Sabarimala, which is abode of Lord Ayyappa who is believed to be celibate. On September 28, the Supreme Court of India ordered that women of menstruating age can enter Sabarimala. After the Supreme Court order, many devotees and political parties came out to protest. A few women who tried to enter the temple were harassed by angry mob. Kerala has also been witnessing communal clashes due to this.
"#Section144 extended till midnight of December 8 in #Sabarimala. The decision has been taken based on the report by the Special Officer and Additional Magistrate in charge", tweeted Digvijay Singh.
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress list for Delhi polls out
April 23, 2019
- Sri Lanka declares emergency, Islamist group identified
April 23, 2019
- Dhoni clocks highest ever IPL score
April 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 23, 2019 Delhi-based Coloured Zebra uses theatre for holistic growth
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 21, 2019
Headlines April 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News