Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
December 11, 2018
World Disability Day may have ended last week but awareness programmes and celebrations continue in many parts of India.
Bengaluru hosted a walkathon organized by Samarthanam Trust, an NGO that works for the empowerment of disabled people. The walkathon is an annual affair and this year's walk was to promote inclusion in digital media. The 14th Bengaluru walkathon was a huge success with hundreds of people turning up for the event.
The organizers collaborated with TE Connectivity (TE), pioneers in connectivity and sensors. The theme for the event was From a Resolution to a Revolution. While digital inclusion is the need of the hour, many disabled people are ignorant about how to use social media. So, it is high time it is made barrier free so there is equal participation of people with disabilities in the development of the economy.
The digital space has evolved a lot. It has a huge potential to make a difference in the lives of people. Many opportunities have opened up new avenues in the field of education. Samarthanam hopes to continue striving to work for equal access. I am glad to see that many companies have joined hands in this initiative. I thank the title sponsors for their contribution and support in this endeavor to promote digital inclusion- Mahantesh G K, President, Samarthanam Trust
Samarthanam have been torchbearers for inclusion since they launched in 1997.
"We started our journey with Samarthanam's digital audio lab in 2008. We co-created the format for vocational training for IT enabled services and hosted its pilot at our site. We are now engaging with them on an accelerator program to mentor start-ups who are developing digital products to empower people with disabilities", said Raj Rajkumar, TE Connectivity's Community Ambassador.
The 14th Bengaluru Walkathon was held at the Kittur Rani Chennamma Stadium in the city. The event also witnessed many technology giants who showed up to support the cause of inclusion.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Events June 26, 2019 Coaching Classes for Visually Impaired Students
- Parasports June 27, 2019 Bengaluru to play host to national blind football tournament
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Accessibility June 27, 2019 Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News