Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
December 11, 2018
World Disability Day may have ended last week but awareness programmes and celebrations continue in many parts of India.
Bengaluru hosted a walkathon organized by Samarthanam Trust, an NGO that works for the empowerment of disabled people. The walkathon is an annual affair and this year's walk was to promote inclusion in digital media. The 14th Bengaluru walkathon was a huge success with hundreds of people turning up for the event.
The organizers collaborated with TE Connectivity (TE), pioneers in connectivity and sensors. The theme for the event was From a Resolution to a Revolution. While digital inclusion is the need of the hour, many disabled people are ignorant about how to use social media. So, it is high time it is made barrier free so there is equal participation of people with disabilities in the development of the economy.
The digital space has evolved a lot. It has a huge potential to make a difference in the lives of people. Many opportunities have opened up new avenues in the field of education. Samarthanam hopes to continue striving to work for equal access. I am glad to see that many companies have joined hands in this initiative. I thank the title sponsors for their contribution and support in this endeavor to promote digital inclusion- Mahantesh G K, President, Samarthanam Trust
Samarthanam have been torchbearers for inclusion since they launched in 1997.
"We started our journey with Samarthanam's digital audio lab in 2008. We co-created the format for vocational training for IT enabled services and hosted its pilot at our site. We are now engaging with them on an accelerator program to mentor start-ups who are developing digital products to empower people with disabilities", said Raj Rajkumar, TE Connectivity's Community Ambassador.
The 14th Bengaluru Walkathon was held at the Kittur Rani Chennamma Stadium in the city. The event also witnessed many technology giants who showed up to support the cause of inclusion.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 23, 2019 Chennai airport's new terminal to show a disabled-friendly, accessible face
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Employment April 23, 2019 Finding right jobs still remains a struggle for adults with autism
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News