Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
World Disability Day may have ended last week but awareness programmes and celebrations continue in many parts of India.
Bengaluru hosted a walkathon organized by Samarthanam Trust, an NGO that works for the empowerment of disabled people. The walkathon is an annual affair and this year's walk was to promote inclusion in digital media. The 14th Bengaluru walkathon was a huge success with hundreds of people turning up for the event.
The organizers collaborated with TE Connectivity (TE), pioneers in connectivity and sensors. The theme for the event was From a Resolution to a Revolution. While digital inclusion is the need of the hour, many disabled people are ignorant about how to use social media. So, it is high time it is made barrier free so there is equal participation of people with disabilities in the development of the economy.
The digital space has evolved a lot. It has a huge potential to make a difference in the lives of people. Many opportunities have opened up new avenues in the field of education. Samarthanam hopes to continue striving to work for equal access. I am glad to see that many companies have joined hands in this initiative. I thank the title sponsors for their contribution and support in this endeavor to promote digital inclusion- Mahantesh G K, President, Samarthanam Trust
Samarthanam have been torchbearers for inclusion since they launched in 1997.
“We started our journey with Samarthanam’s digital audio lab in 2008. We co-created the format for vocational training for IT enabled services and hosted its pilot at our site. We are now engaging with them on an accelerator program to mentor start-ups who are developing digital products to empower people with disabilities”, said Raj Rajkumar, TE Connectivity's Community Ambassador.
The 14th Bengaluru Walkathon was held at the Kittur Rani Chennamma Stadium in the city. The event also witnessed many technology giants who showed up to support the cause of inclusion.
Watch in Sign Language
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019