Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
December 11, 2018
Indian farmers are undergoing the worst crisis. They are under pressure to pay back loan worth lakhs of rupees that they invested on crops in exchange for a few pennies.
To underline their plight, a farmer from Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, Shreyas Abhale has sent Rs 6 to state Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis after onion prices crashed at the wholesale market. Abhale had sold onions amounting to 2657 kgs.
Abhale had spent over Rs two lakh in planting his onions and taking care of them throughout the season. Unhappy over the market price, Abhale sent the money to Fadnavis through a money order.
There was outrage on Twitter over this gesture. The anger over the poor political response to the ongoing farmer crisis has been voiced loudly across social media.
Very disheartening Mr PM & Mr CM If this article has a 0.1% fact please go and sit in your home. We Indians do not need people like you guys to sit n only Bullshit to us Maharashtra Farmer Earns Rs 6 After Selling 2,657 kg Onions, Sends it to CM Fadnavis - Sanjeevkumar Nair, Twitter User
Over the past few weeks, farmers from across India have been protesting at New Delhi and Maharashtra for their rights. The Kisan Mukti March is one of the biggest farmer protests that India has ever witnessed.
"Farmers are the backbone of Indian economy. As simple as that. construct cold stores at onion producing areas to safeguard farmers interest. States must do this immediately", tweeted O P Singh.
A few days ago, a farmer who sold 750 kg of onions and earned only Rs 1064, had sent his earnings to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a mark of protest.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News