Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
December 11, 2018
Fed up with their appeals being repeatedly ignored, many top para sportspersons held a protest in Trivandrum to demand greater financial and infrastructural support from the government.
About 30 para sportspersons from across the state gathered at the Kerala State Sports Council led by the Physically Challenged All Sports Association. They were led by para archer, Kishor A M.Also present were respected Paralympians like Vaisakh S R, Vineesh M.R, Abdul Munir K and national-level players Suma V, Manikandan, Mohammed Shafi, among others. Lending support to the cause was P C George, an MLA who assured those gathered that he would take up their cuase.
All we need is equal opportunity and facilities that are given to all sportspersons like free training, equipment, playgrounds, arenas and stadiums. We deserve the same facilities as others. - Kishor A.M, Physically Challenged All Sports Association.
The sad truth is that despite sterling performances by Indian para sportspersons, getting access to basic facilities remains a struggle especially in small towns. At the village and district levels, funding is a perennial issue.
One of the demands raised at the protest was for sports events to be held for disabled people so they have a chance to prove their mettle. This way more disabled people have a chance to showcase their talents. Many para sportspersons also have to rely on personal funds to continue training.
"Para sportspersons get no help from the government in Kerala", points out Sujina S B, State Coordinator, Physically Challenged All Sports Association, Kerala. "We have been raising our voice and will continue to fight for the demands."
Sad words coming from a para athlete who is also a national-level para Taekwondo medal winner.
Watch in Sign Language
- Indian para athletes set to shine at Special Olympics World Games 2019 starting tomorrow in Abu Dhabi
March 13, 2019
- Karnataka are winners in Pool B matches of T20 National Wheelchair Cricket Championship
March 11, 2019
- With no official support or funding, Maharashtra's wheelchair cricket struggles to spread its wings
March 9, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 12, 2019 Self Defence for Safety of Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
- Education March 13, 2019 With exams round the corner, visually impaired students struggle for scribes
- Headlines March 15, 2019 U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
- Events March 13, 2019 Sign Language Movement
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Headlines March 15, 2019 21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News