Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
December 11, 2018
Fed up with their appeals being repeatedly ignored, many top para sportspersons held a protest in Trivandrum to demand greater financial and infrastructural support from the government.
About 30 para sportspersons from across the state gathered at the Kerala State Sports Council led by the Physically Challenged All Sports Association. They were led by para archer, Kishor A M.Also present were respected Paralympians like Vaisakh S R, Vineesh M.R, Abdul Munir K and national-level players Suma V, Manikandan, Mohammed Shafi, among others. Lending support to the cause was P C George, an MLA who assured those gathered that he would take up their cuase.
All we need is equal opportunity and facilities that are given to all sportspersons like free training, equipment, playgrounds, arenas and stadiums. We deserve the same facilities as others. - Kishor A.M, Physically Challenged All Sports Association.
The sad truth is that despite sterling performances by Indian para sportspersons, getting access to basic facilities remains a struggle especially in small towns. At the village and district levels, funding is a perennial issue.
One of the demands raised at the protest was for sports events to be held for disabled people so they have a chance to prove their mettle. This way more disabled people have a chance to showcase their talents. Many para sportspersons also have to rely on personal funds to continue training.
"Para sportspersons get no help from the government in Kerala", points out Sujina S B, State Coordinator, Physically Challenged All Sports Association, Kerala. "We have been raising our voice and will continue to fight for the demands."
Sad words coming from a para athlete who is also a national-level para Taekwondo medal winner.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Accessibility May 15, 2019 Election Commission falls short of accessibility goals, faces heat from disability rights groups
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Events May 15, 2019 Music Therapy Workshop
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Events May 14, 2019 Udaya Training Program – Enabling the Differently abled
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News