Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
Fed up with their appeals being repeatedly ignored, many top para sportspersons held a protest in Trivandrum to demand greater financial and infrastructural support from the government.
About 30 para sportspersons from across the state gathered at the Kerala State Sports Council led by the Physically Challenged All Sports Association. They were led by para archer, Kishor A M.Also present were respected Paralympians like Vaisakh S R, Vineesh M.R, Abdul Munir K and national-level players Suma V, Manikandan, Mohammed Shafi, among others. Lending support to the cause was P C George, an MLA who assured those gathered that he would take up their cuase.
All we need is equal opportunity and facilities that are given to all sportspersons like free training, equipment, playgrounds, arenas and stadiums. We deserve the same facilities as others. - Kishor A.M, Physically Challenged All Sports Association.
The sad truth is that despite sterling performances by Indian para sportspersons, getting access to basic facilities remains a struggle especially in small towns. At the village and district levels, funding is a perennial issue.
One of the demands raised at the protest was for sports events to be held for disabled people so they have a chance to prove their mettle. This way more disabled people have a chance to showcase their talents. Many para sportspersons also have to rely on personal funds to continue training.
“Para sportspersons get no help from the government in Kerala", points out Sujina S B, State Coordinator, Physically Challenged All Sports Association, Kerala. "We have been raising our voice and will continue to fight for the demands.”
Sad words coming from a para athlete who is also a national-level para Taekwondo medal winner.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Headlines January 23, 2019 PM Modi’s gifts to be auctioned for Ganga
- Events January 18, 2019 Rapid & Blitz Chess Tournament
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines January 22, 2019 WhatsApp forwards now limited
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Events January 23, 2019 State Level Workshop on Sustainable Development & Accessible Empowerment of Deaf
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Employment January 17, 2019 How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News