United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
After months of speculation and trials, India’s liquor baron Vijay Mallya will finally be extradited to India from United Kingdom (UK). Mallya has been in exile at the United Kingdom after failing to pay back loans that he got from Indian banks. Since he has a legal citizenship in the UK, Mallya has been fighting from top court in UK. On Monday, the UK court said that he has to be extradited to India at the earliest.
Great Day for India. No one who cheats India will go scot free. The Judgement of UK’s Court is welcome. An offender benefited during the UPA. The NDA brings him to book- Arun Jaitley, Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of India
Mallya had taken loans of over Rs 9000 crore to revamp his Kingfisher Airlines which was a huge failure. He left India in March 2016 and he challenged his extradition on grounds of human rights conditions in Indian jails over the past. The UK court added that there are no grounds to believe that Mallya would face human rights risk in Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail where he will be spending the next few years.
“The missionary zeal with which the BJP government headed by dynamic and visionary PM @narendramodi ji has paid off substantially with the UK Court ordering the extradition of Vijay Mallya. Diplomatic efforts by Team Modi ji is laudable. Where will Modi baiters hide now?”, tweeted BS Yedyurappa, BJP Leader from Karnataka.
Pointing out Mallya’s lavish lifestyle, the UK court described him as glamorous, flashy, famous, and bejewelled, body guarded, ostensibly billionaire playboy who charmed and cajoled the bankers into losing their common sense.
Last week, Mallya had tweeted that he is ready to pay back the loans and asked Indian banks to take it from him. Mallya is also the former Rajya Sabha member, owner of an IPL cricket team and Force India Formula One team. He was called as the King of good times. Most of his villas, yachts, huge bungalows and planes have been auctioned by banks.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
February 16, 2019
- Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
February 16, 2019
- Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Udaan Idol Little Champs, Radio Udaan's annual music competition for disabled kids attracts huge response
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019