United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
December 12, 2018
After months of speculation and trials, India's liquor baron Vijay Mallya will finally be extradited to India from United Kingdom (UK). Mallya has been in exile at the United Kingdom after failing to pay back loans that he got from Indian banks. Since he has a legal citizenship in the UK, Mallya has been fighting from top court in UK. On Monday, the UK court said that he has to be extradited to India at the earliest.
Great Day for India. No one who cheats India will go scot free. The Judgement of UK's Court is welcome. An offender benefited during the UPA. The NDA brings him to book- Arun Jaitley, Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of India
Mallya had taken loans of over Rs 9000 crore to revamp his Kingfisher Airlines which was a huge failure. He left India in March 2016 and he challenged his extradition on grounds of human rights conditions in Indian jails over the past. The UK court added that there are no grounds to believe that Mallya would face human rights risk in Mumbai's Arthur Road Jail where he will be spending the next few years.
"The missionary zeal with which the BJP government headed by dynamic and visionary PM @narendramodi ji has paid off substantially with the UK Court ordering the extradition of Vijay Mallya. Diplomatic efforts by Team Modi ji is laudable. Where will Modi baiters hide now?", tweeted BS Yedyurappa, BJP Leader from Karnataka.
Pointing out Mallya's lavish lifestyle, the UK court described him as glamorous, flashy, famous, and bejewelled, body guarded, ostensibly billionaire playboy who charmed and cajoled the bankers into losing their common sense.
Last week, Mallya had tweeted that he is ready to pay back the loans and asked Indian banks to take it from him. Mallya is also the former Rajya Sabha member, owner of an IPL cricket team and Force India Formula One team. He was called as the King of good times. Most of his villas, yachts, huge bungalows and planes have been auctioned by banks.
Watch in Sign Language
- India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
June 24, 2019
- Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
June 24, 2019
- Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
June 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News