United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
December 12, 2018
After months of speculation and trials, India's liquor baron Vijay Mallya will finally be extradited to India from United Kingdom (UK). Mallya has been in exile at the United Kingdom after failing to pay back loans that he got from Indian banks. Since he has a legal citizenship in the UK, Mallya has been fighting from top court in UK. On Monday, the UK court said that he has to be extradited to India at the earliest.
Great Day for India. No one who cheats India will go scot free. The Judgement of UK's Court is welcome. An offender benefited during the UPA. The NDA brings him to book- Arun Jaitley, Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of India
Mallya had taken loans of over Rs 9000 crore to revamp his Kingfisher Airlines which was a huge failure. He left India in March 2016 and he challenged his extradition on grounds of human rights conditions in Indian jails over the past. The UK court added that there are no grounds to believe that Mallya would face human rights risk in Mumbai's Arthur Road Jail where he will be spending the next few years.
"The missionary zeal with which the BJP government headed by dynamic and visionary PM @narendramodi ji has paid off substantially with the UK Court ordering the extradition of Vijay Mallya. Diplomatic efforts by Team Modi ji is laudable. Where will Modi baiters hide now?", tweeted BS Yedyurappa, BJP Leader from Karnataka.
Pointing out Mallya's lavish lifestyle, the UK court described him as glamorous, flashy, famous, and bejewelled, body guarded, ostensibly billionaire playboy who charmed and cajoled the bankers into losing their common sense.
Last week, Mallya had tweeted that he is ready to pay back the loans and asked Indian banks to take it from him. Mallya is also the former Rajya Sabha member, owner of an IPL cricket team and Force India Formula One team. He was called as the King of good times. Most of his villas, yachts, huge bungalows and planes have been auctioned by banks.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News