Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
The results of assembly elections held in five Indian states were declared yesterday and were a major disappointed to the Bharatiya Janata Party.
The Assembly elections were held in Telangana, Mizoram, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
Here are the results from the five states comparing the performance of the two major parties: Congress and BJP.
In Telangana elections were held for 119 Constituencies, 60 seats are needed for majority and the TRS party won a massive 87 seats, while Congress bagged 19 and BJP could only get 1. Caretaker Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao who is also the party president won from Gajwel constituency by over 51,000 votes.
The assembly in Mizoram requires 21 seats for majority and elections were held for 40 Constituencies. The Mizo National Front- MNF won 26 seats with congress at 5 seats and BJP at 1 seat win. The MNF is all set to form the government in the northeastern state after a gap of 10 years. Since 2008, Congress had been the ruling party in Mizoram.
In Rajasthan elections were held for 199 Constituencies. 101 seats are need for a majority and Congress party won 99with BJP right behind it at 73 seats. Rajasthan Chief Minister and BJP candidate Vasundhara Raje won from Jhalrapatan seat for the fourth time. Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee President Sachin Pilot won from Tonk seat and former CM and Congress candidate Ashok Gehlot won from Sardarpura.
In MP elections were held for 230 Constituencies, 116 seats are needed for majority and Congress won 113 seats with BJP trailing behind at 109. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan won his seat from Budhni. One seat is still being counted in MP.
In Chhattisgarh, elections were held for 90 Constituencies. 46 seats are needed for majority and Congress party won 68, while BJP won 16 seats. Chhattisgarh's Chief Minister Raman Singh has submitted his resignation letter to the Governor Anandiben Patel.
The results surprised many and social media went abuzz with the results. Priya Mishra @priyamishra025 wrote ,”Am I dreaming? No ,but It's hard to believe their victory. However it's fact and truth. #hopeless #Election2018”
Devershi chandra @ChandraDevershi tweeted, “At the end of the day, EVM was the real winner. #ElectionResults2018 #Election2018”
Watch in Sign Language
- Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
February 19, 2019
- Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
February 19, 2019
- Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News