Gluten free diet for children with autism. Some information
Many parents of children with autism are suggested a GFCF, or Gluten-Free Casein-Free diet that excludes gluten proteins and casein. Today we will share some more information about this diet is all about.
Gluten proteins are found in mostly in wheat, barley, and rye. Casein is mostly present in milk and dairy products.
Although a gluten free diet is often recommended for children with autism, there is a not a lot of proof supporting its benefits.
The gluten free diet was initially created for people who are allergic to gluten in their diet. The condition is called celiac disease. Similarly some people, are allergic to casein and are advised to stay away from the consumption of dairy products.
Some experts say that gluten can cause anxiety, mood abnormalities, mental difficulties and even worsen the behavioral symptoms of autism.Again, there is not a lot of scientific proof to support this. However, in some cases, when a child with autism has Gastrointestinal Disorders (GI), a lighter, gluten free diet has been found to provide relief, as Chennai mom found in the case of her son.
Most children with autism have allergies, digestive, gut related issues and need to be given their food with care. My son had severe digestive problems and got much relief after the GFCF diet was started a few years ago. There are a lot of gluten free healthy options available that parents can add to the child’s diet. Apart from better digestion, I noticed improvement in my son’s behavior with the diet. Gayathri Sridhar, Autism parent
Children with ASD very often have eating disorders and a weak digestive system. They are also very prone to GI problems such as diarrhea, constipation. Some parents have found that a gluten free diet helps overcome the GI issues and the child seems to have an improved digestion.
It is advisable to start a diet only after a talk with your child’s doctor. Parents should also keep a close eye on the child’s physical and mental response to the diet.
It is also better to get an understanding about what the diet may result in. It may help in easing the digestive issues for some children with ASD, and not have any other impact on the child’s behavior.
Another parent, Uma Prasad says she is mindful about what she gives her son as he has digestion issues.
“My son had severe constipation since the age of two and had health issue for many years because of that. It only got better after I started the GFCF diet and became more particular about his diet. It is important to know the foods and substances that a child with autism is allergic to. Apart from gluten, dairy products, I also avoid sugars and some veggies as my child is unable to digest them.”
The views are many so do consult an expert before deciding on whether or not to opt for this diet.
Watch in Sign Language
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News