Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
December 14, 2018
Jai Narayan Vyas, a senior Gujarat BJP leader has raised questions about the new Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Shaktikanta Das.
in a series of tweets, Vyas, who was a minister in Narendra Modi's cabinet in Gujarat, has asked questions that will embarrass the ruling party.
Das took charge as RBI chief on Wednesday after his predecessor Urjit Patel suddenly stepped down in the midst of a battle with the BJP government over the independence of the RBI and other issues. .
Vyas has asked why Das, a bureaucrat with a history background, is heading the central bank.
The New RBI Governor Das's educational qualification is MA (History ). Hope and Pray he doesn't make RBI also a History.May God Bless the New Arrival!! - Jai Narayan Vyas, Gujarat BJP leader
Vyas did not back down in the face of criticism. He later said to a news channel, "To manage RBI you have to have a fair knowledge of domestic and international economy. I respect IAS, the issue is that they're exposed to a little of many things but the acceptance among international community which earlier Governors commanded (is not there). I would wish that a person heading that bank maybe a qualified economist. They are trained for general management. The management of the economy especially when it's going through a rough weather requires altogether different kinds of talents".
Das was Economic Affairs Secretary until he was appointed to the post. He has an MA in history from Delhi University.
The government says he has the "right credentials" for the role. In a statement, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said, "Das has been a very senior and an experienced civil servant. He has almost his entire career in the management of finances and economic management of the country.."
Watch in Sign Language
- India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
June 24, 2019
- Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
June 24, 2019
- Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
June 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines June 24, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News