Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
December 14, 2018
Jai Narayan Vyas, a senior Gujarat BJP leader has raised questions about the new Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Shaktikanta Das.
in a series of tweets, Vyas, who was a minister in Narendra Modi's cabinet in Gujarat, has asked questions that will embarrass the ruling party.
Das took charge as RBI chief on Wednesday after his predecessor Urjit Patel suddenly stepped down in the midst of a battle with the BJP government over the independence of the RBI and other issues. .
Vyas has asked why Das, a bureaucrat with a history background, is heading the central bank.
The New RBI Governor Das's educational qualification is MA (History ). Hope and Pray he doesn't make RBI also a History.May God Bless the New Arrival!! - Jai Narayan Vyas, Gujarat BJP leader
Vyas did not back down in the face of criticism. He later said to a news channel, "To manage RBI you have to have a fair knowledge of domestic and international economy. I respect IAS, the issue is that they're exposed to a little of many things but the acceptance among international community which earlier Governors commanded (is not there). I would wish that a person heading that bank maybe a qualified economist. They are trained for general management. The management of the economy especially when it's going through a rough weather requires altogether different kinds of talents".
Das was Economic Affairs Secretary until he was appointed to the post. He has an MA in history from Delhi University.
The government says he has the "right credentials" for the role. In a statement, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said, "Das has been a very senior and an experienced civil servant. He has almost his entire career in the management of finances and economic management of the country.."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News