A wheelchair that moves with simple head & eye movements
May 17, 2016
Controlling a wheelchair can be hard for persons with mobility problems like cerebral palsy, which makes it difficult to move the hands correctly. Researchers from Brazil have developed an interface that enables precise movements.
The interface controls the wheelchair using simple face, head, or eye movements. Researchers built their first model using a standard motorized wheelchair that was modified using sensors and cameras. They removed the joystick used to control the chair's movements and replaced it with sensors that could detect changes in floor surface and measure the distance of objects and walls surrounding the wheelchair.
Next they designed an interface that used a 3D camera with RealSense technology. This receives input from a camera that monitors facial and body expressions. These expressions are then translated by the system into commands to control the wheelchair.
Researchers say the camera can identify more than 70 facial points around the mouth, nose and eyes. By moving these points, it is possible to get simple commands.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
- Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
June 12, 2019
- #TechThursdays – What makes the DALI app a game changer for students with dyslexia
June 6, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News