A wheelchair that moves with simple head & eye movements
May 17, 2016
Controlling a wheelchair can be hard for persons with mobility problems like cerebral palsy, which makes it difficult to move the hands correctly. Researchers from Brazil have developed an interface that enables precise movements.
The interface controls the wheelchair using simple face, head, or eye movements. Researchers built their first model using a standard motorized wheelchair that was modified using sensors and cameras. They removed the joystick used to control the chair's movements and replaced it with sensors that could detect changes in floor surface and measure the distance of objects and walls surrounding the wheelchair.
Next they designed an interface that used a 3D camera with RealSense technology. This receives input from a camera that monitors facial and body expressions. These expressions are then translated by the system into commands to control the wheelchair.
Researchers say the camera can identify more than 70 facial points around the mouth, nose and eyes. By moving these points, it is possible to get simple commands.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News