13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
December 16, 2018
Three days after 13 people were trapped in an illegal coal mine in a remote region in Meghalaya, search and rescue operations are still on. Over 100 people have been looking for the people trapped in the 320-feet deep mine.
Emergency workers are pumping water out of a large trench that was flooded on Thursday in the East Jaintia Hills district. Rescue teams include personnel from the National Disaster Response, State Disaster Response Force and civil defence.
Rescuers and divers have searched inside the flooded coal mine and all other areas with the help of boats. There is poor light inside the mine as the water is muddy and coal dust. There is no map of the mine available and since it is divided into chambers, locating the people trapped inside is hard.
Police say the mine is an old, abandoned one and that illegal mining had resumed recently. These are called rat hole mines and are common in Meghalaya as they are dug by local people. They are also dangerous as the coal is pulled out from narrow seams.
Speaking to a news channel, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said, "The focus is on the rescue operations in the area. We are concerned about them.The NDRF and the police are leading the operation. We admit that illegal mining was going on. We will take action. This is not acceptable".
Coal mining has been banned in this state since 2014 after activists complained it was responsible for severe water pollution. But miners are still illegally extracting coal using rat hole mines which often lead to accidents.
Fifteen miners were killed in 2012 after they were trapped inside a flooded rat-hole mine in another part of Meghalaya.
Watch in Sign Language
- PM Modi casts vote in Ahmedabad
April 24, 2019
- Bollywood actor Sunny Deol joins BJP
April 24, 2019
- Islamic State takes responsibility for Lanka blasts
April 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Events April 24, 2019 Summer Camp 2019
- Get-hooked April 24, 2019 New study links excessive screen time and ADHD in children
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 23, 2019 Delhi-based Coloured Zebra uses theatre for holistic growth
- Employment April 23, 2019 Finding right jobs still remains a struggle for adults with autism
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 23, 2019 Congress list for Delhi polls out
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News