P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
December 17, 2018
Indian badminton player P V Sindhu has becomes the first Indian to win the BWF World Tour Finals tournament. Sindhu came up against arch rival Nozomi Okuhara in the finals, but unlike previous clashes, Sindhu showed better tactics and more patience to beat the Japanese.
Okuhara was made to sweat and got little breathing space as Sindhu won in straight sets, 21-19, 21-17. This is her first title of 2018. She played brilliantly right through.
2018 was a bad year for Sindhu who had not won a single tournament so far. But she was in top form in this match though Okuhara was close. However Sindhu did not give up and won points at important moments.
She led the second game from start to finish and converted three match points to win the game.
Congratulations came pouring in for Sindhu.
Incredible Performance in the #BWFWorldTourFinals2018 .My heartfelt congratulations to the proud woman of India. 🇮🇳 - Abhishek Singhvi, Congress leader
"What a stellar performance, @Pvsindhu1 you are a global star! Congratulations on winning your first major title against Japan's Nozomi Okuhara in the #BWFWorldTourFinals. India is extremely proud of you!", said Dr Raman Singh, former Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
Sindhu suffered more heartbreaks at the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games this year, and has also twice lost in the final of the World Championships and was runner-up in last year's season finale.
Sindhu, who was always in control of the match, sealed the championship with a forehand smash, before collapsing to the court floor on her hands and knees.
Watch in Sign Language
- Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
April 20, 2019
- IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
April 20, 2019
- Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News