Congress leader jailed for life in anti-Sikh riots case
December 18, 2018
Sajjan Kumar, a Congress Party leader has been found guilty and sentenced to life in jail for his role in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots by the Delhi High Court. The court also cancelled an earlier court order acquitting him.
73-year-old Kumar has been held guilty for killing five members of a family in Delhi. He has been asked to surrender by 31 December.
The court said,
It is important to assure the victims that despite the challenges truth will prevail. - Delhi High Court
About 3,000 people were killed in 1984 by mobs after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards. Many witnesses and survivors said Congress leaders led the mobs targeting Sikhs. Sajjan Kumar is the first top leader of the Congress party to be convicted.
The court said, that "the aftershock of those atrocities is still being felt. Criminals have enjoyed political patronage."
Among those who celebrated the decision was Tirlep Kaur, who saw her father being burnt alive by She wept that justice finally came after 34 years.
Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal welcomed the verdict and said, "it has been a very long and painful wait for innocent victims who were murdered by those in power. Nobody involved in any riot should be allowed to escape no matter how powerful the individual maybe."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News