Cyclone hits Andhra Pradesh causing rains, landslides
December 18, 2018
It has not even been a month since Gaja caused damage across Andhra Pradesh. Now another cyclone called Phethai has hit the state in the coastal areas.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has asked people to take precautionary measures. Seven coastal districts, including Guntur, West Godavari, East Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna and Srikakulam have been put on high alert.
Fishermen have been warned not to go for fishing with winds churning at 90 km/hr. Farmers across the state have also been given warnings regarding the safety of their crops. The state is also expected to witness heavy rainfall in the next 48 hours. Over 50 trains to and from various parts of Andhra Pradesh have been cancelled.
The cyclone caused a landslide at Katrenikona in East Godavari district, killing one person. Naidu has been criticised by social media users for not being present in his state when the deadly cyclone arrived.
APCM Chandrababu Naidu lands in Jaipur to attend swearing-in when deadly cyclone Phethai's landfall hits AP. Mr. Naidu,your action leaving 2/3rd of state to fate is similar to Roman Emperor 'Nero's who fiddled with violin while the Rome was burning. Shame!- GVL Narasimha Rao, BJP Leader and Member of Parliament
Schools and colleges across Andhra Pradesh remained closed on Monday. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been deployed in different parts of the state.
"Another Cyclone "Phethai" hitting our coast today.. ... Plz stay safe evryone... Dangerous winds nd Heavy Rain.. Abnormal for this season.. Global Warming is Real... Renewable Energy nd Electric Cars r the need.. All u Genius Scientists nd Automakers plz lets make it happen", tweeted Nikhil Siddhartha, the actor.
Watch in Sign Language
- Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
June 26, 2019
- 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
June 26, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News