Cyclone hits Andhra Pradesh causing rains, landslides
December 18, 2018
It has not even been a month since Gaja caused damage across Andhra Pradesh. Now another cyclone called Phethai has hit the state in the coastal areas.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has asked people to take precautionary measures. Seven coastal districts, including Guntur, West Godavari, East Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna and Srikakulam have been put on high alert.
Fishermen have been warned not to go for fishing with winds churning at 90 km/hr. Farmers across the state have also been given warnings regarding the safety of their crops. The state is also expected to witness heavy rainfall in the next 48 hours. Over 50 trains to and from various parts of Andhra Pradesh have been cancelled.
The cyclone caused a landslide at Katrenikona in East Godavari district, killing one person. Naidu has been criticised by social media users for not being present in his state when the deadly cyclone arrived.
APCM Chandrababu Naidu lands in Jaipur to attend swearing-in when deadly cyclone Phethai's landfall hits AP. Mr. Naidu,your action leaving 2/3rd of state to fate is similar to Roman Emperor 'Nero's who fiddled with violin while the Rome was burning. Shame!- GVL Narasimha Rao, BJP Leader and Member of Parliament
Schools and colleges across Andhra Pradesh remained closed on Monday. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been deployed in different parts of the state.
"Another Cyclone "Phethai" hitting our coast today.. ... Plz stay safe evryone... Dangerous winds nd Heavy Rain.. Abnormal for this season.. Global Warming is Real... Renewable Energy nd Electric Cars r the need.. All u Genius Scientists nd Automakers plz lets make it happen", tweeted Nikhil Siddhartha, the actor.
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress list for Delhi polls out
April 23, 2019
- Sri Lanka declares emergency, Islamist group identified
April 23, 2019
- Dhoni clocks highest ever IPL score
April 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 23, 2019 Delhi-based Coloured Zebra uses theatre for holistic growth
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News