New Madhya Pradesh CM waives off farmers' loan after taking charge
December 18, 2018
Within hours of taking oath as the new Chief Mister of Madhya Pradesh, Kamal Nath announced a massive loan waiver for farmers.
Waiving off farmers' loans was one of the main promises made by Congress party leaders while they were campaigning for the recently held Assembly elections in five states.
Kamal Nath announced that loans of farmers upto Rs two lakh would be waived off.
This step is expected to benefit around 33 lakh farmers, owing Rs. 70,000 crore in unpaid dues. The decision will cost at least Rs 50,000 crore and will be applicable to loans taken from nationalized and co-operative banks.
The Congress had aggressively talked about the welfare of farmers during the election campaigns and that seemed to have paid off in Madhya Pradesh.
BJP lost the state to Congress after 15 years of governance and farmer unrest is considered to be the main factor behind the party's loss.
The loan waiver is being seen as politically motivated and an action to please the vote bank by many. Recently, in an interview, former Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan also warned that such waivers are damaging for the economy.
Kanti Gala @galakanti tweeted, "Sad day for India's future just for votebank Politics? Congress is responsible for cancer of subsidies, corruption n reservation, real enemy of India's development."
Vishu @Vishu_CS wrote, "Replying to @MinhazMerchant As only few months r left before 2019 polls. It's eyewash. It want b implemented. No state can pull on for yrs doing loan waiver. Cong is just fooling Ppl. Before Ppl realise, polls will b done."
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News