Centre moves to make Aadhaar voluntary for banking, phones
December 19, 2018
A new updated law that makes sharing of Aadhaar details voluntary for cellphone connections, bank accounts, and other services, is likely to be passed in the winter session of Parliament.
This is a step towards making changes to the law. The Cabinet has signed off on the changes and then the draft bill will be introduced in the Parliament.
This is after the Supreme Court set aside Section 57 of the Aadhaar Act. The section allows private companies to demand the unique identity number before providing services.
This means that an Aadhaar card holder can refuse to share details for opening a bank account or getting a mobile phone SIM card. This was earlier necessary for many services.
The law will also be amended in all likelihood to protect the privacy of the Aadhaar card holder. Those who demand an Aadhar card without approval can be penalized by the UIDAI.
The court has said that while the Aadhaar card empowers the marginalized, it did not allow private companies to demand access to sensitive information about the card holder, like bank account details and biometric data.
But the Aadhaar card has to be linked to PAN (Permanent Account Numbers), which is required for filing tax returns.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Get-hooked July 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Disabled people put up remarkable performances at talent show in New Delhi
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News