Indian cricket board backs Virat over sledging episode with Aussies
December 20, 2018
The Indian cricket board, Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has come out in strong support of Indian captain Virat Kohli. The BCCI said that some comments attributed to Kohli during his exchange of words with Time Paine, the Australian captain, were based on hearsay.
The BCCI said, "There are reports claiming Indian Captain Virat Kohli got involved in a banter with Australian Captain Tim Paine during 2nd Test at Perth. It's "assumed" Kohli said, "I'm the best player in the world & you're just a stand-in captain". These claims were based on hearsay".
Kohli and Paine have dismissed their exchange on the field during the second Test at Perth.
Kohli said the exchanges were just "competitive banter", and added, "Stump mics and cameras... these things are totally irrelevant. It stays on the field." Paine also expressed admiration for Kohli's passion for the game.
It was a highly competitive Test match from both teams and there was a lot on the line, with both teams desperately wanting to win. It (was not (worrying) to me, I love it and I'm sure it was great to watch. - Tim Paine, Captain, Australian cricket team
Social media has been divided over Kohli's behaviour with many strongly criticizing Kohli for bad behaviour. There was much outrage after actor Naseeruddin Shah slammed Kohli on Facebook.
"Virat K is not only the worlds best batsman but also the worlds worst behaved player. His cricketing brilliance pales beside his arrogance and bad manners."
Many criticised Shah for those words while others defended Kohli saying aggression is needed to beat the Australians.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events July 11, 2019 Swaradhar - Manthan 2019
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News