"Not a silent Prime Minister", says Manmohan Singh, defends his legacy
December 20, 2018
Former prime minister Manmohan Singh has attacked current Prime Minister Narendra Modi for refusing to comment on controversial issues. He said that it was unfair to call him "silent" when PM Modi avoided the media.
Mr Singh was speaking at an event held to release his book Changing India.
People say I was a silent Prime Minister. But I wasn't the Prime Minister who was afraid of talking to the press. I met the press regularly, and after every foreign trip I undertook, I gave a press conference. - Manmohan Singh, Former Prime Minister
PM Modi has not held even one press conference since he won the elections four years ago. This has been criticised by political opponents.
Changing India, which comes in five volumes, details Mr Singh's life as an economist and his 10-year period as incharge of the Congress-led government at the Centre.
However, Mr Singh did not talk about how practical the farm loan waiver measures announced by his party recently. All that he said was , "The chief minister announced it because we have to honour the commitments made in the election manifesto of states that went to the polls."
Mr Singh also said that India needed a "strong and independent" central bank which has to work in "close cooperation" with the central government. "I do hope and pray that government and the RBI find a way to work in harmony." Singh had served as governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for three years from 1982 to 1985.
Watch in Sign Language
- Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
June 17, 2019
- Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
June 17, 2019
- More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
June 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News