Actor Naseeruddin Shah’s comment on cow vigilantism sparks outrage
December 23, 2018
Recently, Bollywood's much acclaimed actor Naseeruddin Shah commented that he is scared for his sons who live in India because killing cows are given more importance than killing policemen. The actor, while speaking for an interview with the NGO Karwan-e-Mohabbat passed the comment. The comment has sparked outrage across the country.Recently, a policeman from Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh was killed in mob violence that was sparked from the killing of over 30 cows.
But many people took to social media to support the actor.
The core of what Naseeruddin Shah was saying was not so much about the fate of his children or about lives of cows versus humans but about the impunity with which the mob defies the rule-of-law. And how that's where the greatest danger to an India united resides. Douse this-Nirupama Menon Rao, Former Indian Foreign Secretary
Some right wing groups even asked Shah to leave India. Shah was supposed to deliver a speech at the Ajmer Literature Festival. But due to protests from right-wing groups over his remarks on mob violence, organizers of the event cancelled his speech. Protestors gathered outside the venue and shouted slogans and hurling black ink at posters of the actor.
Uttar Pradesh BJP Chief Mahendra Nath Pandey said that Shah is taking over his on-screen role of the Pakistani agent in the movie Sarfarosh in real life too. Shah, while defending himself over his comments asked why is he being termed as a traitor for his comments. He said that he was merely expressing concerns for his country that he loves.
"Not important if #NaseeruddinShah is right or wrong. More important - much, much more important - for people of his fame and reach to douse, not fan sparks. Unfortunate comment from one of the world's finest actors", tweeted Chitra Subramanian, media personality
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress spokesperson attacks her party
April 19, 2019
- Second voting phase-Key points
April 19, 2019
- ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News