Actor Naseeruddin Shah’s comment on cow vigilantism sparks outrage
December 23, 2018
Recently, Bollywood's much acclaimed actor Naseeruddin Shah commented that he is scared for his sons who live in India because killing cows are given more importance than killing policemen. The actor, while speaking for an interview with the NGO Karwan-e-Mohabbat passed the comment. The comment has sparked outrage across the country.Recently, a policeman from Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh was killed in mob violence that was sparked from the killing of over 30 cows.
But many people took to social media to support the actor.
The core of what Naseeruddin Shah was saying was not so much about the fate of his children or about lives of cows versus humans but about the impunity with which the mob defies the rule-of-law. And how that's where the greatest danger to an India united resides. Douse this-Nirupama Menon Rao, Former Indian Foreign Secretary
Some right wing groups even asked Shah to leave India. Shah was supposed to deliver a speech at the Ajmer Literature Festival. But due to protests from right-wing groups over his remarks on mob violence, organizers of the event cancelled his speech. Protestors gathered outside the venue and shouted slogans and hurling black ink at posters of the actor.
Uttar Pradesh BJP Chief Mahendra Nath Pandey said that Shah is taking over his on-screen role of the Pakistani agent in the movie Sarfarosh in real life too. Shah, while defending himself over his comments asked why is he being termed as a traitor for his comments. He said that he was merely expressing concerns for his country that he loves.
"Not important if #NaseeruddinShah is right or wrong. More important - much, much more important - for people of his fame and reach to douse, not fan sparks. Unfortunate comment from one of the world's finest actors", tweeted Chitra Subramanian, media personality
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Events July 11, 2019 SignAlong - Sign language workshop
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 Rising Flame launches leadership programme for women with disabilities
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Accommodating Diversities
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Disabled people put up remarkable performances at talent show in New Delhi
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News