Bihar MLA gets life imprisonment for rape of minor
December 23, 2018
Suspended MLA Raj Ballabh Yadav from Bihar and two others have been given a life sentence for the rape of a minor girl. Yadav has also been asked to pay a fine of Rs. 50,000.
The two other people who have received life imprisonment will have to pay a fine of a fine of Rs.20, 000 each.
A local Bihar court found Yadav and five other people, including four women guilty in the case. Three of the convicts have been sentenced to 10 years rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs. 10,000 each.
Raj Ballabh Yadav, a Rashtriya Janata Dal leader and member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly was suspended by the party after he was accused of rape by the minor girl more than two years ago.
The minor girl was raped by Yadav at his residence in Bihar Sharif on 6 February 2016. The girl had been taken there on the pretext of a birthday party by a woman named Sulekha.
Police investigation has named Suleka and her relatives as co-accused for supplying women and girls to the RJD MLA.
After the court's ruling, Yadav will also lose his membership of the Bihar Assembly.
He had evaded arrest after the rape case was filed against him and only surrendered when the court issued an order to attach his properties for not surrendering before the police.
The court's decision has been welcomed by many social media users.
A K Mandi @mandiashok tweeted, "Cheers, ex-RJD Bihar MLA Rajballabh Yadav,with a mother & daughter,sent to life term jail,for raping 10 yr old girl in Feb 6th, 2016. Probably first of kind lawmaker.Justice prevails @laluprasadrjd"
Halan Sevannan @HalanSevannan5 wrote, "Replying to @htTweets Correct punishment. Worst criminal elements& anti socials enter politics & creating problems for society."
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News