Top things for wheelchair users to do this holiday season
December 27, 2018
It is that time of the year when we all have our family and friends together. The holiday season is here. Most of us have taken a break from our daily schedules to relax and unwind ourselves. No doubt that December holidays are one of the best times of the year.
But for wheelchair users, enjoying holidays is all about planning ahead.
I celebrated Christmas at a mall, and I was alone. Most of the shopping malls in Delhi are accessible and disabled friendly. This holiday season, I plan to do a lot of shopping and check out some new restaurants. I accompany my mother for shopping because she needs company too. If I get time, I go for movies. I wouldn't recommend markets because they don't have accessible toilets or even ramps. Malls are always the best option-Pulkit Sharma, wheelchair user from Delhi
Are you a wheelchair user looking into doing something unique this holiday season? We have some tips for you.
- Weekend markets- These local weekend markets are very popular in western countries. This concept is slowly catching up in India and it is great. During the holiday season, people open exclusive weekend markets where you can shop on some great clothes, artefacts and even food items. Organizers even host a lot of art, dance and music at such events. So along with shopping, you can indulge in some entertainment too. Updates about such events are always updated in social media like Facebook and Instagram. So keep a look out to check out some great markets near you.
- Beaches- Recently, Alappuzha beach in Kerala was recognised as India's first accessible beach. Unwinding at a beautiful beach during this weather is indeed great feeling. In India, there are not too many accessible beaches unlike the west. But you can always check out on the internet about which are the accessible beaches near you.
- Movies- Who doesn't love going for movies? Being the holiday season, there are plenty of movies to check out. Since most of the malls have multiplexes, wheelchair users will find it easy to access them because all malls have wheelchair ramps. Maybe, you can also do some shopping at the malls too.
- Travel- December is the ideal season to travel. There are plenty of options available which you can check on the internet. Look out for accessible holiday destinations. Offers and discounts are available in plenty. So make maximum use of it. If you don't mind going for international destinations and spend a little more, then nothing like it.
"This vacation, I wanted to travel alone. I flew all the way alone from Bengaluru to Hyderabad and now I'am going to Bellary. I believe that wheelchair users can easily do things on their own. Nothing is impossible. You just need to explore and reach out to people", says Srilatha, wheelchair user from Bengaluru.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 23, 2019 Dhoni clocks highest ever IPL score
- Headlines April 24, 2019 Bollywood actor Sunny Deol joins BJP
- Events April 24, 2019 Summer Camp 2019
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Get-hooked April 24, 2019 New study links excessive screen time and ADHD in children
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News