Top things for wheelchair users to do this holiday season
December 27, 2018
It is that time of the year when we all have our family and friends together. The holiday season is here. Most of us have taken a break from our daily schedules to relax and unwind ourselves. No doubt that December holidays are one of the best times of the year.
But for wheelchair users, enjoying holidays is all about planning ahead.
I celebrated Christmas at a mall, and I was alone. Most of the shopping malls in Delhi are accessible and disabled friendly. This holiday season, I plan to do a lot of shopping and check out some new restaurants. I accompany my mother for shopping because she needs company too. If I get time, I go for movies. I wouldn't recommend markets because they don't have accessible toilets or even ramps. Malls are always the best option-Pulkit Sharma, wheelchair user from Delhi
Are you a wheelchair user looking into doing something unique this holiday season? We have some tips for you.
- Weekend markets- These local weekend markets are very popular in western countries. This concept is slowly catching up in India and it is great. During the holiday season, people open exclusive weekend markets where you can shop on some great clothes, artefacts and even food items. Organizers even host a lot of art, dance and music at such events. So along with shopping, you can indulge in some entertainment too. Updates about such events are always updated in social media like Facebook and Instagram. So keep a look out to check out some great markets near you.
- Beaches- Recently, Alappuzha beach in Kerala was recognised as India's first accessible beach. Unwinding at a beautiful beach during this weather is indeed great feeling. In India, there are not too many accessible beaches unlike the west. But you can always check out on the internet about which are the accessible beaches near you.
- Movies- Who doesn't love going for movies? Being the holiday season, there are plenty of movies to check out. Since most of the malls have multiplexes, wheelchair users will find it easy to access them because all malls have wheelchair ramps. Maybe, you can also do some shopping at the malls too.
- Travel- December is the ideal season to travel. There are plenty of options available which you can check on the internet. Look out for accessible holiday destinations. Offers and discounts are available in plenty. So make maximum use of it. If you don't mind going for international destinations and spend a little more, then nothing like it.
"This vacation, I wanted to travel alone. I flew all the way alone from Bengaluru to Hyderabad and now I'am going to Bellary. I believe that wheelchair users can easily do things on their own. Nothing is impossible. You just need to explore and reach out to people", says Srilatha, wheelchair user from Bengaluru.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News