Bill against Triple Talaq system passed by Lok Sabha
December 28, 2018
The much talked about Triple Talaq or the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 has been passed by the Lok Sabha. The bill makes the practice of instant Talaq used by Muslim men a punishable offence.
The bill was passed by the lower house of Indian parliament after a five hour long debate about the use of Triple Talaq system. The members of Congress and the AIADMK walked out after the debate.
Men of the Muslim community can give instant divorce to their wives by uttering the word "Talaq" three times.
The practice has been found to have a negative impact on the lives of the wives who are divorced suddenly and left to fend for themselves. In many cases men just say the word "Talaq" three times over the phone, via SMS or messaging platforms and leave their wives.
The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 considers the practice "unconstitutional" and "arbitrary" and suggests a three-year jail term to husbands who use the method and also calls for maintenance to be provided to the women.
The bill will now be presented in the upper house of Rajya Sabha for passage.
The passage of the bill has been hailed by soocial media users. Most people are happy that the bill is for safeguarding rights of women but are skeptical if the bill will be passed by the upper house.
Priti GandhiVerified account @MrsGandhi tweeted, "Big day for 9 crore Indian Muslim women today. Having faced injustice for hundreds of years, Modi govt is taking the noble initiative to ban triple talaq. It could have happened in 2017, but Congress govt is politicising the issue & opposing the decision. #BanTripleTalaq"
IndianJain @GetRidofDevils wrote," Replying to @MrsGandhi @narendramodi But there is no way the bill is getting through the Rajya Sabha unless a joint session is held."
Watch in Sign Language
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
March 25, 2019
- 111 farmers to contest elections against PM Modi
March 25, 2019
- Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
March 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Tough, but not impossible. - Guest columnist Karthik Chandrashekhar talks about his journey overcoming disability
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 An inclusive blindfolded walkathon at Delhi University aims to build inclusion
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
- Headlines March 24, 2019 PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 22, 2019
Headlines March 16, 2019
Headlines March 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News