Bill against Triple Talaq system passed by Lok Sabha
December 28, 2018
The much talked about Triple Talaq or the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 has been passed by the Lok Sabha. The bill makes the practice of instant Talaq used by Muslim men a punishable offence.
The bill was passed by the lower house of Indian parliament after a five hour long debate about the use of Triple Talaq system. The members of Congress and the AIADMK walked out after the debate.
Men of the Muslim community can give instant divorce to their wives by uttering the word "Talaq" three times.
The practice has been found to have a negative impact on the lives of the wives who are divorced suddenly and left to fend for themselves. In many cases men just say the word "Talaq" three times over the phone, via SMS or messaging platforms and leave their wives.
The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 considers the practice "unconstitutional" and "arbitrary" and suggests a three-year jail term to husbands who use the method and also calls for maintenance to be provided to the women.
The bill will now be presented in the upper house of Rajya Sabha for passage.
The passage of the bill has been hailed by soocial media users. Most people are happy that the bill is for safeguarding rights of women but are skeptical if the bill will be passed by the upper house.
Priti Gandhiâ€Verified account @MrsGandhi tweeted, "Big day for 9 crore Indian Muslim women today. Having faced injustice for hundreds of years, Modi govt is taking the noble initiative to ban triple talaq. It could have happened in 2017, but Congress govt is politicising the issue & opposing the decision. #BanTripleTalaq"
IndianJainâ€ @GetRidofDevils wrote," Replying to @MrsGandhi @narendramodi But there is no way the bill is getting through the Rajya Sabha unless a joint session is held."
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Get-Hooked August 15, 2019 Visually impaired singer Muskan uses music to connect with the larger world
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News