Bill against Triple Talaq system passed by Lok Sabha
December 28, 2018
The much talked about Triple Talaq or the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 has been passed by the Lok Sabha. The bill makes the practice of instant Talaq used by Muslim men a punishable offence.
The bill was passed by the lower house of Indian parliament after a five hour long debate about the use of Triple Talaq system. The members of Congress and the AIADMK walked out after the debate.
Men of the Muslim community can give instant divorce to their wives by uttering the word "Talaq" three times.
The practice has been found to have a negative impact on the lives of the wives who are divorced suddenly and left to fend for themselves. In many cases men just say the word "Talaq" three times over the phone, via SMS or messaging platforms and leave their wives.
The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 considers the practice "unconstitutional" and "arbitrary" and suggests a three-year jail term to husbands who use the method and also calls for maintenance to be provided to the women.
The bill will now be presented in the upper house of Rajya Sabha for passage.
The passage of the bill has been hailed by soocial media users. Most people are happy that the bill is for safeguarding rights of women but are skeptical if the bill will be passed by the upper house.
Priti GandhiVerified account @MrsGandhi tweeted, "Big day for 9 crore Indian Muslim women today. Having faced injustice for hundreds of years, Modi govt is taking the noble initiative to ban triple talaq. It could have happened in 2017, but Congress govt is politicising the issue & opposing the decision. #BanTripleTalaq"
IndianJain @GetRidofDevils wrote," Replying to @MrsGandhi @narendramodi But there is no way the bill is getting through the Rajya Sabha unless a joint session is held."
Watch in Sign Language
- Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
May 27, 2019
- PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
- Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
May 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News